Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 sedan deville
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, I've been having a problem with the oil light flashing in my 97 deville which I am assuming that it needs some oil. But today, not only was the oil light flashing, the service engine soon light came on. Don't know if it's due to the fact that the oil could be at a low enough level to trigger the service engine soon light to come on or if it's something else. We turned the A/C on briefly and about 3-4 minutes later is when the engine light came on. The oil life is at 44% life remaining. We bought the car in February of 09 and at the time, had 80% life on the oil. We don't drive it much and it was supposed to have had the oil changed back in March. Still had a few hundred miles til the oil change was needed. What do you think is causing all this and do you think I should have the oil changed rather than adding some more oil?

I've also had other issues with this car too such as the battery no charge message popping up, but staying up for like 5 minutes. It did it twice since we owned the car. It has also stalled in the past too, but hasn't done it in a while.

·
Registered
2003 DHS, 97 BMW Vert, 08 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
87 Posts
The first thing to do is to check the oil level. If it is low, fill it. Oil is much cheaper than an engine, and an engine won't run very long without it.

Some engines tend to consume oil. How many miles did you put on this car since February? There are many cars living a long life that consume a quart of oil in 2000 miles. Their owners however, routinely check the oil level and replace what has been consumed.

·
Registered
97 sedan deville
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do plan to check the oil, but I'm most likely that it's low. Oil light used to flash once a month and now it's doing it every time we go somewhere. We did put about 2000 miles on it since owning the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,545 Posts
Your car has two sensors. One for oil pressure and one for oil quantity. If you get 2 qts low, you'll get a CHECK OIL LEVEL message. What you are seeing is oil pressure and most likely a bad oil pressure switch on the oil filter adapter. Replace it with an A/C Delco unit only. Then pull the DTC's to see what set the SES light.

·
Registered
97 sedan deville
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It hasn't said check engine oil yet, just the flashing oil indicator is all I had. But am taking it to the auto store and will see what the deal is. Oh and sometimes the oil indicator will stay on solid when at a dead stop or when starting the car.

·
Registered
97 sedan deville
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your car has two sensors. One for oil pressure and one for oil quantity. If you get 2 qts low, you'll get a CHECK OIL LEVEL message. What you are seeing is oil pressure and most likely a bad oil pressure switch on the oil filter adapter. Replace it with an A/C Delco unit only. Then pull the DTC's to see what set the SES light.
If it is a bad oil pressure switch, how much would it cost? And what will happen if I don't fix it?

·
Registered
97 sedan deville
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

Turned out that I had to put in 2 quarts of oil. Took it to Advance Auto Parts and the person said that the oil level was at the add line. Put 1 quart in, run the motor for a minute, check the dipstick and it still wasn't full enough. Had to put another quart of oil in. Check the dipstick, read better. Now the oil light hasn't flashed again, but we didn't drive far either.

The Service Engine Soon Light:

We had the clerk do a diagnostic check and we've found out that it's a oxygen sensor problem. We didn't fix this yet, but plan to as soon as we can after finding out that if nothing is done about it within a few weeks that more things can go wrong.

This is what the meter read:

P1139: manufacturer control fuel air metering.

P0135: o2 sensor Heater Circuit malfunction. (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

The cost of the part $76.99 This is not including labor so I have the feeling it's gonna be very expensive since I'm no auto mechanic.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,545 Posts
I'm not sure how much an oil pressure switch costs, but I don't think it is too expensive. If it is faulty and you do not fix it you will continue to get false low oil pressure indications.

See the sticky at the top of the page on how to pull your own codes. There is also a link to decipher them.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
I don't want to be the dick, but if you see that red oil can symbol turn on, on the dash while your driving the car, or even idling in the driveway get the car to the side of the road and shut it off immediatly until you are sure that there is a fault with the sender. Running the engine with no oil pressure is a sure way to empty you wallet. Backyard mechanics can do headgaskets for 5 or 600 dollars, but if you waste a crank, or a rod your looking at a new engine and the price for that will far exceed the value of the car. If you pay attention to no other warning lights on the car, pay attention to that one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts