Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Deville D'Elegance
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a really strange issue with my 1997 Deville D'Elegance. I haven't started it since early Dec. keeping it stored in my garage. I put a charger on it several times. I just tried to start it and I had the lights flicker, and a buzzing sound, but the starter would not engage. I also had some clicking noises from the fuse board on the left fender well. I figured the battery was low so I put a charger on it and let it charge over night. I now have no power anywhere. No dash lights etc. I put a multimeter on the battery, (new last fall), and it reads -0, no charge.

This is strange as I haven't had any problems with the car since I purchased it in August. It has 94000, and is in great condition. Any suggestions on what I should check, before I call a shop? It's very cold here (about 9 degrees), so I will not be doing much until it gets a little warmer.

Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
1967 Eldorado
443 Posts
I think a good place to start would be to get a known good battery with a charge and see what that does and see if you can rule out the battery before chasing problems in the car.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,479 Posts
............. and you had better hope the present battery did not go dead, freeze, and burst. Is the garage heated - or at least protected from temperature extremes ?

A charged battery will not freeze - the electrolyte specific gravity is high due to the sulfuric acid content. In a dead battery the sulfuric acid is deposited on the lead plates as lead sulfate - the "electrolyte" is then almost pure distilled water. Charging - high amperage charging - is what drives the lead sulfate back into the electrolyte solution.

·
Registered
1997 Deville D'Elegance
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
I cleaned the connections some, and put on charger. Battery is OK garage is heated so not an issue of frozen. It measures 13.66 with the multimeter while charging. It am getting power, but the dash lights are going crazy flashing and then going blank. When I put the key in the security message lights and I can hear the fuel pump run. There is also a hum that is coming through the speakers, but the radio is off. The dash lights only remain on for a short time, and then go black. I check some of the other threads regarding security problem, but I don't get the same message of a problem with security and car may not start. The security message has always just come on when the key was inserted, and then went off when I turned the key to start.

I am leaving the charger on for a while and will then check it to see if I just had a low battery. I have been told that if I don't drive it in the winter, (rotten salt), I should at least start it every couple of weeks which I did not do.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Load test the battery. Just because it has 13 volts doesn't mean its good. My last battery never dropped below 12 volts but had lost half it CA. Load test said it was junk.

·
Registered
1997 Deville D'Elegance
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery is charged to the point that the car started. All looks good. Its really surprising what a low battery will cause to look bad. I am checking to see if there are any codes that may indicate any other issues. I appreciate this forum for being a place where I can go to get ideas of what to check when a problem surfaces.

Thanks to those of you who took the time to look at my post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts