Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 deville with tan leather seats. They look like hell! They are faded and especially on the drivers side the cusion is mostly gone. How many of you have noticed this? It seems as all the used seats I see are not much better and on the left side of the drivers seat the cushion is low. My local auto upholstery shop can re-pad,repair and re-dye both front seats for $500. Just wondering if there is any other or better/worse solution
?????

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
Yeah,

this is a common problem, and it seems somewhat worse on GM cars with leather than many others of simiar age/miles/etc. Seems like marginal quality leather. The foam cushions break down as well, these can be repaired/replaced.

I had both my fronts redone with new leather (factory matched) by a local upholstry shop. cost about $500, but I took off the upholstry and gave it to them (saved some labor on teardown and reassembly), also supplied the new leather (included in the above cost) and was very pleased with the results.

FWIW, redying is a short term fix. If your seats are badly worn (spots that look like suede, rather than smooth leather) then it will wear off again in short order, especially on the drivers side as it gets the most use. Also, if they are showing cracks, these will reappear fairly quickly as the leather is flexed as you sit on it.

I wouldn't drop a lot of money on redying, I'd have new leather panels sewn in as needed which won't be that much more and will last longer.

KDirk

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your advice, They are replaceing the leather on the drivers side and dying the passengers side being it is not in bad shape. As well as re padding both sides so should be ok. By what you are saying $500 isnt bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts