Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and would appreciate your help and guidance. I'm looking at Cadillac DeVilles for sale now; someone local has a 1997 Cadillac DeVille d'Elegance with 156,000 miles $2,800. I'm very interested as the body is flawless, it looks showroom new. The interior is in great condition, although it is starting to show its age. The gentleman selling it works on cars on the side and sells them, right now he has two (inlcuding the DeVille) for sale, and the DeVille has been sitting for a while (over a month).

I plan on speaking with him in greater detail soon. My questions before I do so are: 1) Just because of age, should I run the other way? 2) I am aware of the issues surrounding the DeVilles, Northstar engine, and head gaskets, and I plan on having the car thoroughly inspected before purchase. Is there anything else I should be aware of? 3) How much, realistically would you pay for this vehicle? KBB says $2,005. 4) Anyone who has a DeVille from '97-'99, what information can you provide?

Lastly, do you feel this is a good deal?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,853 Posts
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and would appreciate your help and guidance. I'm looking at Cadillac DeVilles for sale now; someone local has a 1997 Cadillac DeVille d'Elegance with 156,000 miles $2,800. I'm very interested as the body is flawless, it looks showroom new. The interior is in great condition, although it is starting to show its age. The gentleman selling it works on cars on the side and sells them, right now he has two (inlcuding the DeVille) for sale, and the DeVille has been sitting for a while (over a month).

I plan on speaking with him in greater detail soon. My questions before I do so are: 1) Just because of age, should I run the other way? 2) I am aware of the issues surrounding the DeVilles, Northstar engine, and head gaskets, and I plan on having the car thoroughly inspected before purchase. Is there anything else I should be aware of? 3) How much, realistically would you pay for this vehicle? KBB says $2,005. 4) Anyone who has a DeVille from '97-'99, what information can you provide?

Lastly, do you feel this is a good deal?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer.
=============================
a 1997 Cadillac DeVille d'Elegance with 156,000 miles for $2,800 is no bargain -

personally - because of the MANY improvements on the 2000+ Northstar motor -
I wouldn't even consider a 99 or older -

and for $3000 - you can find a decent 2000+ Deville -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,841 Posts
Yep ^^^ Find a good 2001 - 2004 DTS (Deville Touring Sedan) - not the later "DTS".

A 2002 DTS, pretty loaded, with less than 90,000 miles would sell for ~ $3600, private sale.

Make no mistake - 156,000 is high mileage. Unless the car has been fanatically maintained there's a lot waiting to give up just around the corner.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Too high for that mileage. I paid 3k for my 98 with 72k on it and 4k for my 97 with 40k on it. I generally don't buy cars over 125k as too much is just worn out unless I can get dirt cheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all that info. I think I will let the '97 d'Elegance go and instead look for something from at least 2000. I appreciate all the help!

----------

Thanks for all that info. I think I will let the '97 d'Elegance go and instead look for something from at least 2000. I appreciate all the help!
$3,500 is my max, $4,000 if it is a great deal. Is there anything in particular I should look for in the DeVille/DHS/DTS, feature wise?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,853 Posts

----------

$3,500 is my max, $4,000 if it is a great deal. Is there anything in particular I should look for in the DeVille/DHS/DTS, feature wise?
=========================
the three models really are completely different -

the DHS is the most luxurious -

the DTS is the "hot rod" Deville -
bucket seats - center console -
F45 "active" shocks and struts - stiff suspension -
17" wheels - 55 series tires -
25 additional ponies - and a steeper gear -

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Figured that out. Searched for DTS & they weren't showing up. Searched for DeVille and they showed up with DTS trim.
Didn't make any sense since they also show DTS as a model selection. Thought they would have still showed up. TKS!

·
Registered
2002 DTS, 70 Cougar conv, 2020 XT4
844 Posts
DTS became a separate "model" in 2006. That is why they show it as a model selection. Before that it was a "trim". Confusing...but that is how Cadillac decided to do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts