1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Deville
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Back again..LoL.

So I'll try and keep it short. My Deville has an issue with leaking coolant. I recently just did a lot of work to her. New water pump, water pump gasket, new radiator, new thermostat, new upper and lower radiator hoses, new hose clamps on everything, new heater pipes that run along the backside of the engine, new silicone heater tubes (To connect heater hoses) as well as a million non coolant related parts.

This started a while ago and after all of the recent work stated above, I was hoping one of those things would eliminate what was causing the leak. Slowly, it came back. It's weird. One day I come out to go to work and it hasn't leaked anything. The next day, it's leaked a few drips. Then the next morning, nothing. Then another day I'll come out and there will actually be a puddle. Then the next day, back to a few drips. And repeat.

I don't get why it it's so inconsistent. It leaks towards the front corner of the engine, under the where the water pump is located. (Water pump housing is dry as a bone, as well as thermostat housing!) No overheating or anything. It's almost like its somewhere in between the front valve cover gasket (Below valve cover) and the manifold. Really no splash marks or any indication in the area where it's coming from. Tried renting a pressure tester, but Caddy loves all the special parts. None of the universal fittings fit, so I couldn't really test it.

My friend told me about some sort of triangle-ish shaped gasket's that go in the "lower corners of the engine"? Don't see where he is talking about. So, bottom line, any ideas??? It's driving me crazy. I'm done putting much more money into this BEAST!!!!! Especially after just putting my tax return into her and having the engine half apart to try and find this issue. If you guys can think of something I'm forgetting or maybe heard a similar story, I'd appreciate any sort of feedback!

Thanks a lot!

Nick

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts

Coolant crossover gaskets. Complete PITA of a job if that's what it is.

You can get the pressure test adapter pretty cheap online. Or call around to some other parts stores. It's not that obscure of an adapter.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,515 Posts
Crossover gaskets. Take it all (more this time) apart and clean it up. Study tech Tips for the ways to replace the lower 2 gaskets. You'll need a strong back, patience and magic words.

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Deville
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys! Well.. Looks like I have more work to do. I can't think of any other thing's it could be. Luckily, I ordered an all in one gasket set, so those crossover gaskets came with it. Just need to see what the job entails and what needs to be done. Just had her broken down to the valley, hope its not much further than that this time.

Again, I greatly appreciate the feedback! Hope these are it, otherwise I'm done with this bia!!! LoL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts