Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the starter located in my 1997 Deville with NorthStar engine.I think my starter has gone bad and my car won't start.I put in a new battery and a new starter regulator and still won't start.I had a new key switch put in about 2 years ago so I don't think that is my problem.When i try to start i get a clicking sound,the light and stuff are bright when i turn the key switch over.Is there a pic of where the starter is located on my car anywhere.I want to tackle this job myself if i can can some pic or diagram of where to look for it

·
Registered
96 Sedan DeVille 4.6l
31 Posts
when you replaced the battery, did you clean the terminals? usually the spacer for the positive terminal goes bad and you won't get a good contact. if in fact it is the starter, it's located under the intake or plenum as some call it. i'll try and find the link for you. it's not hard at all to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cozmo1 said:
when you replaced the battery, did you clean the terminals? usually the spacer for the positive terminal goes bad and you won't get a good contact. if in fact it is the starter, it's located under the intake or plenum as some call it. i'll try and find the link for you. it's not hard at all to do.
Yes i clean the terminal and the spacer,does the starter give any signs when it is going bad.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,407 Posts
Yes. Well at least the front bank wires anyway. You can probably just move the rears out of the way. If you have not had the fuel rail recall done, then I have heard that there is enough flex in the fuel line to leave it connected and just raise the front of the manifold enough to get at the starter. If it has been done then you'll have to disconnect it but I think you can leave the rail and injectors attached to the manifold.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6
1,320 Posts
No, you do not have to remove or disconnect the fuel lines. There is a single nut holding it to the base of the EGR valve. Unbolt that, and if you lift the entire manifold straight up about 2cm, it will clear that bolt. Prop it up with a long screwdriver or piece of wood or plastic at the passenger side, and you have more than enough space to change the starter. I just did mine today, took 57 minutes - first time - on an Eldorado. I'll take it over my Grand Cherokee's 5.2 any day of the week. The dirt alone makes that hell, even if you spray it with the gun at the car wash every time it still doesn't stay clean. It was much easier than I was afraid of, especially with the manual showing it in the center between the cylinder banks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts