Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new problem has surfaced with my Catera. This has never happened before: After driving for about 15-25 minutes, check engine light flashes, all power to the car stops and that's it. I'm stranded. If I wait 15 minutes it let's me start it again and then I continue driving until all power goes again and I sit there waiting for another 15 minutes.

My temperature gauge is normal during this. No other warning signals other than I know when it's going to stall because when I step on the gas, it doesn't want to go. This is when the engine light flashes, car stalls and it won't let me start again for another 15 minutes. please note: after waiting for 15 minutes the engine light is not still on. The car is running with no other problems at this time.

Any ideas? Please? I fix all of my own problems under the hood but this one has me stumped. Maybe it's my belt???

Thanks!

·
Registered
Shopping!
199 Posts
It sounds alot like the same thing that I'm experiencing. I know that for me it isn't the Crank Pos. Sensor due to the fact that I've had them replaced. Mine is at a local mechanic but I'll post here when I find out what's wrong.

·
Registered
92' Eldorado, 97 Catera
289 Posts
You might want to have someone scan it for codes. Auto Zone, Advanced auto parts....etc... They do it for free in my area.

Camshaft position sensors to my knowledge can do what you are describing. I would imagine if this is the case then a code will appear.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe it may be my serpentine timing belt because it's making a chirping noise. Perhaps a bearing or pulley. i just sprayed water on it and it stops. It may be slipping.

Comments????

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Help...I am experiencing the same problem. It started Thursday evening (07/05/07). I have mine at the dealer now running a diagonostic. Som from what I am reading there are at least three potential causes (if not more). I had it at the mechanic early this morning. The serpentine belt is like new. The alternator / generator and starter are fine. I replaced the battery this morning. Still having the same problem. Any suggestions????

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm having the same problem the car runs until it is warmed up and then stalls out. I have to usually wait about 5 to 10 minutes and then can start it again, but after that I have no idea when it will stall out again. The check engine light is not on and when I tried to scan it I get no codes. I've already replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and the relay for the fuel pump. I've been out of a car for 2 weeks and I'm going insane. Any ideas on what it might be?

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
I'm having the same problem the car runs until it is warmed up and then stalls out. I have to usually wait about 5 to 10 minutes and then can start it again, but after that I have no idea when it will stall out again. The check engine light is not on and when I tried to scan it I get no codes. I've already replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and the relay for the fuel pump. I've been out of a car for 2 weeks and I'm going insane. Any ideas on what it might be?
It sounds like what I experienced 2 weeks ago. The engine just quit. Wait 15 minutes and it starts again. No CEL. No codes of any kind. The "Sport Light" (gear with S inside) was flashing though. Replaced the Crankcase Position Sensor and all is well again.

Elvin

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just ordered one, I get it tomorrow. I hope it is what is wrong with my car. I've already spent a ton of cash and time trying to get it running. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you have the engine codes read, the crank sensor should show up as one. My 97 just had that problem. The wires are really close to the exhaust and they burn up eventually.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wasn't getting any codes but I replaced the crank position sensor anyway. It all started because I changed the fuel filter. Then the car started stalling out like everybody else described. I thought it might be the fuel pump just so I changed that and the fuel pump relay. When that didn't work it was when I decided to do the sensor. The end result is that my car doesn't stall out anymore. I drove it for the first time and now it is doing something it has never done before. When I get up to about 4000 rpm when accelerating it feels like the rev limiter kicks in. Almost like a misfire. I'm getting a new code so I'll check it in the morning.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I checked the engine code and the scanner said it was a bad crank position sensor. Since I just replaced the sensor I had my doubts about it being bad. I decided to check my handy work and found that the o-ring on the sensor had rolled out of place and caused the sensor to stick out by just a hair. It was bolted down just a little off. I reinstalled the sensor and all is good. I'm actually anxious to drive my car again. Now if I can just get the speedometer to work again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts