Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Catera
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the titles says I have a 1997 Cadillac Catera. I am fairly very certain my transmission is about to go on my car, I just bought 14 days ago :crying:.

Anyways I am looking for a couple of things;

What transmission do I have. (I know I have automatic transmission) I am looking for what transmission will fit my car? What other cars have a like transmission which will work for this year and make of car? Or if you can just point me in the right direction where I can find this information out. Thanks

Everything else works great on the car.. .. with that said is it worth me fixing?

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
What makes you believe the transmission is on its way out? I have a list of cars that use the same unit as the Catera but I'd be more specific about your problem. There may be someone that can give you a cheaper fix.

The Catera uses the GM 4L30-E transmission which is used in the following vehicles:

* 1991–1995 BMW 525i
* 1992–1995 BMW 325i
* 1992–1998 BMW 318i
* 1994–2001 Honda Passport
* 1994–2003 Opel Omega B
* 1996–1999 BMW 328i
* 1996–1999 BMW 528i
* 1996–2000 BMW Z3
* 1996– Acura SLX
* 1996– Opel Frontera
* 1997–1999 BMW 323i
* 1997–2001 Cadillac Catera
* 1999– Isuzu Amigo
* 2001– Isuzu VehiCROSS
* 1991–1998 Isuzu Rodeo
* 1990–2001 Isuzu Trooper

·
Registered
Catera
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason I believe it is the transmission is based on a lot of things and most are things that have happened before. I will explain and you are right it still may be a cheaper fix.

I was just getting back from a about a 2 hour drive. I was driving going around 60 MPH and when my speed started to drop and was going to accelerate. While attempting to accelerate the RPMS shot up above 6k. It felt like it was out of gear but slightly still in gear just not working like turning to accelerate. I tried 2 other times and same thing happens so I am just coasting sorta. I dropped the gear to 3rd gear. It felt like it down-shifted however it was giving me the same problem. I pulled off the road into a residential area and reduced speed to drop the transmission into 1st gear. Once it was in first it started to work. I then got on the road and accelerated to around 45 when the problem happened again. This time I put it in 3rd gear and it stuck and I was able to drive in 3rd gear but it would not go above 3rd. At this time the automatic transmission service light kicked on. I pulled up to a light and stopped and put my car back into D(rive). When the light turned green I tried to accelerate but it sputtered and wouldn't drive as if I had a MANUAL tranny and tried to start in the wrong gear (not first gear.). I then dropped it into 1st and it took off, I was able to get home just using 3rd gear. I parked my vehicle let it cool off. Later that night I took the vehicle about 4 blocks to see if anything magically changed, this time it started and was fine until I 45ish and it started to act as if it was out of gear. this time as I turned around, I was un-able to use 3rd gear only 1st and second. So I drive home slowly. (tranny service light off now).

I hope this helps. to me it sounds like a tranny early failure and slipping. Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
I'm no expert by any means but could be that the fluid is burnt and or the filter is clogged. The fluid pressure could be low and causing your problems.

I'd drain and flush the fluid before replacing the tranny. A new filter and fresh fluid might do the trick.

·
Registered
'97 Catera (Ocean)
463 Posts
One thing for sure is take it to a tranny shop and get it scanned. My tranny was doing the exact same thing, going into LIMP mode, yada yada yada. Anyhoo my issue was with the Range selector or Neutral/Park Safety Switch, after I got that replaced, I noticed that going from 1st to 2nd gear and 2nd to 3rd would give a really rough shift, like the timing of the gears was off. Shortly after my Crankshaft Position Sensor went. After replacing the CPS I have not noticed a single hitch with the transmission, it may in fact shift smoother than it had before all the issues. Your transmission is a sealed system which means it should never have to change fluid or get a flush, if you've been seriously grinding your gears, you may want to drain the system, replace the filters and put some fresh fluid in... Hope this info helps

·
Registered
Catera
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for help. I am going to get my car scanned this Saturday and have it checked out. Hopefully it isn't the tranny but something else.

·
Registered
Catera
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another quick question. I am looking for a repair manual like haynes chiltons for a 1997 Cadillac catera, Any good spots I should look? The local autozone and such do not carry it.

·
Registered
'97 Catera (Ocean)
463 Posts
A word of advice, the Haynes manuals will probably not help you for this car. You're better off, paying the 100 bucks and get them on ebay

·
Registered
Catera
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that will not be a problem because nothing locally sells the books. They can not even find a book for the car. What on Ebay should I look for that will cost $100? I do need a book I just can not find one.

I am getting an error code P0411. IF you have means to look up exactly what it has, but it has something to do with power trans/secondary air. I found 3 air lines ( I will try and take pictures and post them.) these air lines are disconnected either by previous person cutting them or they have just broken off. I have only found 1 spot where it is missing an air line hose. I think another might be behind my engine which requires me to take my windshield wipers off and the plastic guard. I am looking for a book so I can figure out airline situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts