Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Deville (Base)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all: I drive a 1997 Base model Deville with an am/fm tape deck. My father drives a 2004 Base model Deville with a am/fm/ single cd player. His car was totaled this last weekend and I pulled the radio out of it to get his Joan Baez cd out of it.
Of course it plugs into the 97, but doesn't fire up. Is there a possible swap here, or do I just take his cd player apart and junk it. It seems like it fits in my caddy ok, and I would like to just use it there if possible. I am not a moron with wiring, but I'm not an engineer either. It seems like just cutting and splicing random wires is not a good idea.
Is there a schematic that someone has that can tell me what wire positions have been changed. The plug is numbered 1-16, and is two sided so perhaps that helps.
please advise.
Dad is ok by the way, he took a head on shot from a lady in a jeep at about 95 mph combined speed. He broke both legs and both arms, but he is alive, although the caddy is not. Long live the big cars.
G

·
Registered
927 Posts
Ganzgut2 said:
Hey all: I drive a 1997 Base model Deville with an am/fm tape deck. My father drives a 2004 Base model Deville with a am/fm/ single cd player. His car was totaled this last weekend and I pulled the radio out of it to get his Joan Baez cd out of it.
Of course it plugs into the 97, but doesn't fire up. Is there a possible swap here, or do I just take his cd player apart and junk it. It seems like it fits in my caddy ok, and I would like to just use it there if possible. I am not a moron with wiring, but I'm not an engineer either. It seems like just cutting and splicing random wires is not a good idea.
Is there a schematic that someone has that can tell me what wire positions have been changed. The plug is numbered 1-16, and is two sided so perhaps that helps.
please advise.
Dad is ok by the way, he took a head on shot from a lady in a jeep at about 95 mph combined speed. He broke both legs and both arms, but he is alive, although the caddy is not. Long live the big cars.
G
He had his seatbelt on?

did you take any pics of the car? I love to see those pics it's always incredible the aftermath of these types of crash.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Deville (Base)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He had his seatbelt on. I have some pictures, but I'm not sure quite how to attach them.

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
Great to hear about your Dad... I had a chuckle when you described taking the radio to rescue a Joan Baez CD. In order to have that radio work in your 97 car, you will have to have the dealer reprogram the vin to your car's. Otherwise the Theftlock will be engaged. This is assuming that the radio is not damaged in the accident, you should see the theftlock appear on the display. I have the schematics for all GM cars from 96 to 2006 and I will let you know if there was any change made.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Check also if your dads radio is Bose, it will be on the front somewhere. I am not sure if a Bose radio will interchange with a 'normal' audio system.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I am also wondering this they have a lot of cd stock deville radios available for the 98+ devilles but i wonder if they work with earlier 96-97 models

or some auctions list them as 98 sevilles+ but would they work for devilles?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It appears from the schematics that, the radio in the 2004 does quite a bit more than just play tunes. If I am reading right, it also will display Dianostic Trouble codes and do other things. Both use a 32 pin connector and on the 97 it shows cavities that are not used, but on the 2004 they are filled in with different things, such as chimes, onstar, I think also that the yellow wire is in a different location, but I could be misreading that, If I knew how to post the diagrams, I would simply put them there and others could figure it out. I would be pretty sure that the radios would not interchange. As far as the 98 and up devilles, I think that in 97 there was no class 2 data links in the radio, but in 98 they were added. I myself took out my stock hu and put in a panasonic, following all the threads in the audio section, the only thing I did different was take the bat power from the connector under the steering wheel and hook both ign and bat to the red wire with the white tracer. That audio section was a real timesaver.

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac Premium AWD CTS
710 Posts
Ganzgut2 said:
Here is a picture of the aftermath of the accident.
Wow! That was one serious accident, I am glad that your Dad was OK! I can only imagine what shape the other car is in..

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts