Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac STS
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 STS and I love it. I have herd that it was the fastest year. My car has only 48000km on it. This girl I know has a standard mustang 1987 and she wants to race me but she wants to put 50$ on it. I would like to win and take her pride and money away. But the problem is 1996 Cadillac STS 6.4 14.7 vs. 1987 Ford Mustang GT 6.4 14.4 (Automobile, April 87). I don’t know if the specs I posted are right but I am thinking if she knows how to shift then she will take me but it’s really close I’m not sour what my car would pull though what u guys think?????????? I did beat a Subaru WRX the other day with my girl friend in the car and some luggage. It was awesome he was so ashamed that as soon as I hit second gear the wheels squealed and I took off and he then gave up and turned around in a hurry it was cool!!!
If I do so it will not be on the road I will take it to a drag strip!!!;)

I got the stats from http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
If her car is completely stock...I bet you could win. If her's is an Auto, then I would throw down $100, but if it's a stick, and she can drive it well.....it might give you a run for your money. I wouldn't worry about loosing to it. Many of us have run with Fox bodies and seen victory.

Also, there really isn't a faster year, although the 1997 and older ones are a little bit lighter. My 1998 STS does 0-60 in about 6.4 seconds and on a good day can turn a 14.7 1/4, and it's supposed to run 15.1's.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
Go ahead and take it the chance, one wrong shift and she's out of there. I just beat my brothers acura tl 1999 by a car length

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
Don't believe all the BS in the mags and don't count on turning what the mags say. If you are gonna race her at the strip take the time to go to the strip and practice. Get a feel for the lights, cutting a good light is one of the most important things and you don't do it without a little practice.

Most stock stick Mustangs are in the 15.0 range. Auto's are definitely slower. Most guys who went to the strip with their Caddy's report 14's.

Make sure you have the best tires on the front, play with tire pressure and rpm's at launch. I don't believe in brake torqueing...Hard on the trans. I do a slight rpm raise and usually nail it. Havn't had any automatics that could fry the tires lately. Havn't run on a strip lately either though. (My tire fryers are sticks, the Eldo's not running yet)

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I recommend abotu 22-24psi in the front and about 38psi in the rear. This will help your traction, and decrease your rolling resistence with the rear tires, and also help a little to keep the car from squatting. If you really want a good luanch, disconnect the rear ride height sensors so the rear end gets raised up all the way. That way, when you nail the gas, the rear end won't squat on the launch. That will help you 60ft times. Also, if you can avoid it, skip the burnout box. Doing a burnout will probably do more harm than good in the end, and nobody like to launch with wet tires. The three runs I maid at Atco a few months ago were all with moist tires, because they didn't have a detour around the burnout box. I still did alright though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
zonie77 said:
Don't believe all the BS in the mags and don't count on turning what the mags say. If you are gonna race her at the strip take the time to go to the strip and practice. Get a feel for the lights, cutting a good light is one of the most important things and you don't do it without a little practice.
Maybe it's different where you race, but out here your reaction time does not factor into your 1/4 mile time.

I would just pair off at a traffic light somewhere with her and go at it.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
Club car said he's racing at the strip...............soooo..............cutting a good light IS important. First one to the finish line wins. :cool2:

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac STS
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx guys for the insite i think it will help me. question whuts the best way to get off the line the best naill it or just eas it on or use the gear slector to get the rpms up a bit? another shood i make shur my tank is almost empty and take my spar tier out?? thanx

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac STS
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just replased the orignal plugs and wires 2 day at only 48000 km but the old ones wer burned back so much and the wires wer arking so it seams much beter now.

·
Registered
442 Posts
50 bucks is not much money at stake. If you want to get to know her better, change the bet. Make it if she loses, she buys you dinner. If you lose, then she buys you dinner. Then its a win win situation, provided you like her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i got a 92 gt 5spd convert.... my first car was a 88lx 5.0.. i honestley think it would be a close race.. the caddy weighs so much but ... its impressive.. keep me posted with the results... i keep tellin my bussy with an 88 gt convert ill take him but he wont... i put him to shane with a 92' sho... so i have faith.. again it all depends on if she can shift

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
When I was at the track last time, I got the best reaction time by staging the car around 1300rpm or so for a brief second before the light turned green. My first to reactions time were in the .4xx's. The last race I was a little quicker, and I staged the car too, and ended up with a .064 rection time, which is pretty good. I definitely would hold it there, but once the second yellow light hits, bring the rpm's up and hold your foot down on the brake just enough to keep the car from moving. AS soon as the last yellow light turn on, mash the throttle, by the time you actually start moving, the green light will already have lit. If you leave on the green light...your gonna get a bad reaction time, and could loose if the race is that close. I was also putting the shifter in 2nd to get the quicker 1-2 shift, but I don't think it really made that much of a difference (maybe 10k of a second at most). Today I'm gonn atry it with the car in D, and stage it at abotu 1500rpm. I'll let you knwo how it goes.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
i kno for a fact while doin like 50 in my dads 98 STS (this is before i got my ETC) on a state route i pulled up along side a old 80's gt fox body. im a chevy boy so i cant defer one year from the other but we both looked at eachother and nailed it. i had almost 2 car lengthes before he flashed his lights and i let off. we got along side at about 40 and he said what year is that i said 98 he said runs good i said hell yea the Northstar hauls

that being said i have full confidence you can take him

1 - 18 of 18 Posts