Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Seville STS. Something caused the alarm to activate one night setting of the system. I don't know how long the horn was making noise and flashing lights, but it stopped when I was walking to the car. I opened the hood and a burning smell was emitting by the battery. I found the horn under the right front fender below the battery area, pulled it for a test, and it does not work. Maybe it burned up from running a long time. I've heard these cars have 4 horns, if that's the case, this one was the only one making noise when the alarm was activated.

If there are 4, are they wired in series where when one goes out you lose them all?

If no, why was I only hearing one horn if there's 4?

Curious because I don't have a horn now. Thanks!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,813 Posts
Re: 1996 Seville STS horn question(s)

I don't know how long the horn was making noise and flashing lights
if the alarm is activated -
the horns will honk and the lights will flash for 5 to 7 minutes - then reset -

I've heard these cars have 4 horns
your car two horns - a hi tone and a low tone -
both activated by a single horn relay -

why was I only hearing one horn
simply burned out - they are 23 years old - nothing lasts forever -

Curious because I don't have a horn now.
either the remaining horn also burned out -
or the horn relay failed - located in the MAXI-FUSE box - under the hood -

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 1996 Seville STS horn question(s)

Thanks. I'll buy a replacement horn, if that doesn't work, I'll switch a good relay in the box out with the horn relay and go from there.

Do you know where the other horn is?

Assuming at least one horn is good, will it work if the relay is good?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were there exceptions? I can clearly see one horn and there's not room for another one. If there was room, the bracket holding the one horn would have to share the other horn and I would have another power source hanging in there for the missing one. There isn't a spare hole on the bracket for another horn and there's not another power source coming in for another horn. I can take a picture if you like. Thanks!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,813 Posts
Were there exceptions? I can clearly see one horn and there's not room for another one. If there was room, the bracket holding the one horn would have to share the other horn and I would have another power source hanging in there for the missing one. There isn't a spare hole on the bracket for another horn and there's not another power source coming in for another horn. I can take a picture if you like. Thanks!
---------------------------
there were definitely two horns - probably one on each side -
look up in the fender area - basically behind the headlights -

1 - 6 of 6 Posts