Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell everyone.

I have a problem that I hope someone may be able to shed some light on.

The day before yesterday, my '96 SLS decided to stop starting. It tries to turn-over, but it just won't start up. I don't notice any other problems and there were no warning signs that I know of... but it's possible I may have overlooked something.

There are no codes at all. There was one history code, but after clearing the codes, nothing comes up.

I already changed the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator just in case, as I had a hunch it may not be getting fuel, but it did not correct the problem. I just don't know what else to check now.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things to check? I know there's a million things that could be wrong, and I'm not giving much info, but I don't have much info. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

PS. I will be home all day long (no car, no work) so I will be able to answer questions rather quickly should someone have something they need to know.

Thanks a lot and have a great day everyone.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,977 Posts
Put a fuel pressure gauge on the service port and get a pressure reading. If you do not have a gauge, open the filler cap and have someone turn the key on while you put your ear to the filler pipe. You should hear the pump run for 2 - 3 seconds before it shuts off. If not, then it is likely a bad fuel pump.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
I saw a 96 SLS today with the same symptom. It also had a new FPR and a new battery. The cables left something to be desired though. During cranking the starter cable voltage was fine, but the other cable feeding everything else on the car, was around 7 volts. It had a quick disconnect on that cable and corrosion going down into both positive cables.

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies!

It was indeed the fuel pump. All is good now.

Just thought I would update for anyone doing a search and to say thanks.

Thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
96' Eldorado, 00' Volvo 770 N14+ 525HP
154 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/FUEL-PUMP-CADILLAC-DEVILLE-SEVILLE-ELDORADO-94-95-96_W0QQitemZ230158648535QQihZ013QQcategoryZ33553QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here ya go I paid 230 for mine from pep boys when I got my eldorado, I didnt want to buy a fuel pump made in china so I got this carter pump made by fedural mongel (US Made). Wish this was on Ebay when I needed it.
By the way make sure to check out the wiring and plug going to fuel pump, look for GFS (green fuzzy sh*t).
Pump should be fairly easy to change just make sure you lubeb the end of the fill tube before putting the tank back up, it will slip together much easier. It took me longer to get the fill tube hooked up to tank than it did to R&R pump from tank.
Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts