Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1996 SLS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh God! Someone please help me. The factory radio in my caddy that I inherited has the factory radio but aftermarket 6x9s in the rear that were not hooked up. Ive tried everything but still no sound in the rear.
Does anyone know the speaker color codes for hot and neg???
Appears to be 4 wires for each speaker....

Thanks for any responses..

Joe

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,016 Posts
Hi !!!!!

Post this down in Cadillac Technical Discussion, Audio/Alarms/Security. Lots of help there.

:welcome:

·
Registered
1995 SLS, 2004 DTS, 2008 STS
48 Posts
Hi. If you have base radio system (i.e. U1L/UW6 RPO code found in trunk), the wire colors are;

LH+ BRN
LH- YEL

RH+ DK BLU
RH- LT BLU

IF YOU HAVE NON BASE SYSTEM (PREMIUM AUDIO) THIS IS A LOT MORE COMPLICATED, BUT LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED.

Best

Jim

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
If you said you have 4 wires at each speaker then you have BOSE sound system. That should be easily visible on the HU (a BOSE logo should be printed on the lower left corner of the screen).
Now if you have BOSE and you have just speakers in the back then you will not get sound no matter what (well you will have very low signal sound on two of the wires). The BOSE sound system has amplifiers behind EACH speaker so you need to see some electronics attached to the back of the speakers (that is the amplifier).
Now wire colors…
ORN – AMP +12V power supply
BLK – AMP GND
(both sides 18 AWG wires)

LT BLU – Audio + Left
DK GRN – Audio – Left
LT GRN – Audio + Right
BLK – Audio – Right
(20 AWG wires)

But you should not worry about witch wire is what, they end in a standard 4 pins connector, once you have the correct speakers the connector only plugs one way.

Here are the BOSE speakers (notice the metal case thing, that is the amplifier. You can also see the connector with a piece cut of the car harness on the left speaker).

For more details see my BOSE thread here.

·
Registered
1996 SLS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks,
The amps were still in the trunk. Can they be hooked to aftermarket speakers?

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
You mean somebody removed the amps off the original BOSE speakers let it in the trunk?
It should work as long as the aftermarkets are 2 ohms impedance (usually is 4 on aftermarket except some Infinity speakers). Even 4 ohms will work but you loose some volume and low frequency response (a lot). Let me put it this way, it ain’t gonna be like BOSE.
Last time I checked on e-bay with less than $50 you can get one complete brand new BOSE speaker, so for less than $100 you can get your sound at its best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts