Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Sedan Deville 4.6l v8
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need the location of the blower motor resistor. Blower motor won't shut off after turning off car and removing key. I have to manually disconnect blower under the hood.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,672 Posts
I need the location of the blower motor resistor. Blower motor won't shut off after turning off car and removing key. I have to manually disconnect blower under the hood.
===================
the blower motor speed controller is built into the blower -
it is NOT serviceable or replaceable -

you can spend around $250 for an ACDelco unit online -
or about HALF that for a FOUR SEASONS 35121 -

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply basscatt. The blower motor can be controlled at different speeds. I installed another I had in a previous 96 and did the exact same thing wouldn't shut off. So I'm thinking it's a burnt out resistor as I've read this blower motors have constant power.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,817 Posts
There are three leads on the blower motor. Ground, 12volts, and a modulated signal to control speed
With the HVAC buttons set so the blower is off, there should be no voltage on the grey lead at the motor (the middle wire)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for the reply harry yarnell. I see so there might be a short somewhere given that i tried two blower motors and both would not turn off.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,817 Posts
It's a common problem with these integrated motors. It's POSSIBLE you have two bad motors.
My concern here is you say you can vary the speed with the ignition OFF.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,672 Posts
Thanks for the reply basscatt. The blower motor can be controlled at different speeds. I installed another I had in a previous 96 and did the exact same thing wouldn't shut off. So I'm thinking it's a burnt out resistor as I've read this blower motors have constant power.
========================
So I'm thinking it's a burnt out resistor as I've read this blower motors have constant power.
once again - THERE IS NO RESISTOR -
ALL of the blower functions are controlled by the built-in electronics -

not shutting off IS a fairly common failure of these blowers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts