Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, my security system keeps thinking someone is trying to open a door and closing it.

In normal operation, if I stop say at a stop sign or the side of the road, keep it running and in gear, and use use the power lock button on the door to unlock the doors, then Open the driver's door (or any door, but I can't reach the others), as soon as I close the door, the car will lock the doors as part oth the auto locking. This can be shut off via programming the remote, but I kept it functional

While driving, I get a light show, courtesy lights flickering, and eventually the doors will try to lock, but they are already locked. If I use the power locks to unlock the doors, I still get the light show and eventually the car will lock the doors.

So it is thinking that someone has opened a door.

I CANNOT find any door pin switches. The only thing I note is a small round black circle about 1/3 inch diameter where a pin switch would go. There is one on each door. It does Not appear to be a closed off conduit opening. Those would be larger and there is one higher up on the driver's door (I didn't check the other doors).

Do these cars use some passive / magnetic / other sensor to detect when a door is open or closed??

OR - is the security system black box, the one that on on the rear package shelf under the panel - which I had replaced because my old one went dead - gotten FUBAR'd already??

If so,what is the remedy to get the de-posses the car's security system??

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,643 Posts
I think your problem is the module that controls the alarm and door locks. These act up all the time. I have only changed the module to fix the problem. The module is under the third brake light and can be got to from inside the back seat. A different module will have to be reprogramed to your remotes. This is very easy to do. There are many threads here about this, do a little search.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
^^ Hi, I did just replace that module a couple months ago and this issue only started occurring after I made the replacement. The original module, which I still have was completely inop - no auto lock / unlock when in drive / park, no remote function, no security system. The replacement module fixed that but this craziness happens.

As a further question, how does the car know a door has been opened or closed???
-There are NO pin switches in any of the doors.

Is there a reputable place that can repair these RKE modules?

And, is there an easy way to get that rear package shelf off to get at the RKE Module?

What I have been doing to keep it from going off while parked and locked is as follows:

I use the power lock button on the door or the remotes to lock all doors. Then I close the door(s). Then I use the key to unlock and open the driver's door, and then I manually push the lock down to lock that door only (the others are still locked) That seems to work. and keeps the fuel filler door locked as well.

But it does NOT stop the light show and door locks clicking away when it decides to act up while driving.

Further I do not know if this goes on when the car if off either because I keep it covered, and I don't feel like sitting around looking at it to see if it is acting up. I would have to be in it to see the courtesy lights flicker, because it is a faint flicker. But if the lights are constantly flickering, with the car off, then this will eventually cause the battery to drain down. The doors should not try to lock / unlock because that only happens when the car is running and in gear.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
676 Posts
Some vehicles have the switch mounted in the end cap of the instrument panel.
Some vehicles have the switch in the door latch itself. You can check for the former by looking for it.
You can check for the later by using a screwdriver or other tool to latch the door while it is open and see if the interior lights turn off.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Some vehicles have the switch mounted in the end cap of the instrument panel.
Some vehicles have the switch in the door latch itself. You can check for the former by looking for it.
You can check for the later by using a screwdriver or other tool to latch the door while it is open and see if the interior lights turn off.
The former does not account for the rear doors. I'll look on the sides of the instrument panel, but I do not think there are any switches there. Even if there were, then that does not address the rear doors.

As to the handles, they DO cause the interior lights to go on, even if all the doors are locked. BUT, if the doors are locked, all they do is light up the inside, they have NEVER set off the alarm when I just pulled on one, and I have done that MANY times because my everyday car for the past 10 years has been an STS or CTS with passive "keep the fob in your pocket" auto unlocking when you walk up to the car and pull the handle. I was always jamming my fingers trying to open a door on the Fleetwood when it was locked - still do on occasion.

The CLC forum said thse cars have the pin switch equivelant in the door latch itself. OK,

Problem with a latch - this might be it, how to track it down though. The doors are all shut completely. There is a door ajar light when I don't get on all the way closed. and I visually check all the time. I have even opened and closed each door many times to see is something might be stuck. I might have to go further into that. I've also exercised the handles repeatedly.

Now, when I first bought the car, it if got caught in a HEAVY rain storm, then the door ajar light would come on, sometimes flicker, sometimes stay on steady until the car dried out. This also happened if I did a Thorough rinse after hand washing the car. I'm pretty sure it is the front passenger side door. I'll just to have to do some digging through the manuals, but even then it did NOT set off the alarm. That's only happened since I replaced the Remote Keyless Entry / Security system module up on the back package shelf.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That should only take about another year.

It wasn't new, it was from a salvage yard off a 1996.

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,643 Posts
There are no new ones anywhere. Thats why for the last 15 years I bought every one I seen in the junk yards.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are no new ones anywhere. Thats why for the last 15 years I bought every one I seen in the junk yards.
Do you have any known good spares that you would sell?

I'm thinking it's a wiring problem with one (hopefully only one) of the door latches, etc.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks I wrote back I'll check PNs in the daytime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts