Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parking brake has no resistance. Hitting bumps causes it to "fall" just enough to activate the indicator but not actually the brakes.

Is the spring, that causes the pedal to return, on the pedal itself or at the back brakes?

I have purchased a service manual, it just hasen't arrived yet.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
32 Posts
Krashed989 said:
The spring is in the pedal itself. Although there are springs located at the rear brakes, they don't help the pedal come up.
Where can you find the repalcement spring?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
gbezefromnapeze said:
Is it a like a coil spring that goes around the pedal's pivot point?
I don't remember at the moment... I'll have to take a look and see. Yours may have just became disconnected from the petal... I'll post back later tonight after I look. I gotta wait until college is over at the moment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
gbezefromnapeze said:
Is it a like a coil spring that goes around the pedal's pivot point?
You havin the same problem gmendoza?

My spring broke last week and Cadillac wont sell just the spring. The only sell the whole assembly.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
gmendoza said:
My spring broke last week and Cadillac wont sell just the spring. The only sell the whole assembly.
Look up local salvage yards in your area directory. Go to one in person and ask for the parking brake spring. They will help you.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
It's hard to tell what kind of spring is attached to it. I think it's a spring coiled around the petals pivot point rather than a spring attached to an arm, but it's hard to tell. You would have to remove the under dash panel to see it better, and I just haven't had the time lately. The hardest part about replacing the petal is removing the brake cable from it. I have found that one of my SAE boxed end wrenches (I forget the size) fits perfectly to compress the three spring tabs down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
Krashed989