Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,924 Posts
Welcome to CF !!! Yes, your fuel pump is inside the fuel tank. For your car, replacement requires a complete tank drop.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado etc
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about the double post I didn't realize that I had started a thread already about fuel pump access. I have a 96 Eldorado ETC. Decided to make the big cut! As you can see from the pix I didn't really need to remove the back of the seat. Pix is facing towards the back, I'm in the center stradling the hump. I should have drilled my first hole right at the carpet line and worked from there. I purchased an air nibbler. Had to drill 1/2" hole and worm it a bit to get the air nibbler started. Air nibbler extends below the surface about 1/4" and can not reach any fitting or the wiring loom or plugs. It is the easiest way to cut this metal while not making sparks or damaging the poly tank. I was able to remove the pump with no problems. Cleaned pretty carefully before I removed it and still got a bit of material into the tank. would suggest blowing as well as vacuuming around the pump head before lifting out. If I had to do it again I'd move the hole about 1 inch towards the front of the vehicle. Cutting the access hole is much easier than pulling the tank. Done many in tank pumps. The fittings on the pump were pretty standard GM stuff, they gave me no grief. The pump retainer ring came off with no problems. Electrical plug matched up but I did have to move the hose clips to the new one.
I used a bit of petroleum jelly to lube the seal and ring hold down threads so it went back on very easy. Look for arrows on the pump and tank for the correct position. I used 1/2" Tek screws, sheet metal scraps and aluminum HVAC tape to close and seal the hole.
Now for the hard stuff... I ordered a AC Delco replacement pump from amazon, $163 plus tax. AC stuff is usually a bit higher but prefer the quality. I got shipped a unbranded pump with the correct fittings but not labled AC Delco, it is a chinese knock off with a copy machine instructions with one AC Delco icon on one corner. The original pump has a sediment filter and rubber feet as this style of pump sits on the bottom of the tank on springs that keep it from vibrating. The high dollar knock off had no rubber feet or sediment filter. Yes, I know, after market pumps, some have the sediment filter built in.... But that is my point, this pump is not what I paid for. Autozone AC Delco pumps are about $232, they have rubber feet and a exterior sediment filter. So, watch out for knock off pumps. The $50 ones on amazon have rubber feet, and some have external sediment filters, got screwed out of over a $100. for a cheap pump.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado etc
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to CF !!! Yes, your fuel pump is inside the fuel tank. For your car, replacement requires a complete tank drop.

Thanks for the welcome! I've been on this forum for many years, but some how got dropped so I re-registered. SNET stuff happens!

·
Administrator
67,924 Posts
Our series of Northstar cars use about the same fuel pump assembly - and an "AC Delco" pump assembly is made by any of a half-dozen suppliers. Just because the package says "AC Delco" does NOT mean it's made in USA - any one of 10 or 15 countries, depending on contract.

Who made this "AC Delco" fuel pump for my 2002 STS ? Look closely at the pump assembly picture. yes, it has the primary filter sock and rubber feet.

DELPHI is/was/may again be a HUGE parts division of GM. Google it.

Box label.jpg.JPG
Top view.jpg.JPG

·
Administrator
67,924 Posts
lonfu, Your duplicate posts and pictures from the dead thread from 2012 have been moved to a hidden trash forum. Please let this thread serve as info for other Eldorado owners. Eldorado never got the removable fuel pump hatch in the trunk like the 2000 and later Seville/Devilles. there are many threads on that later procedure.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado etc
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A couple more pix of the finished pump access hole. 22 gage sheet metal to close opening. aluminum tape, hvac rated, should keep it air tight.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado etc
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our series of Northstar cars use about the same fuel pump assembly - and an "AC Delco" pump assembly is made by any of a half-dozen suppliers. Just because the package says "AC Delco" does NOT mean it's made in USA - any one of 10 or 15 countries, depending on contract.

Who made this "AC Delco" fuel pump for my 2002 STS ? Look closely at the pump assembly picture. yes, it has the primary filter sock and rubber feet.

DELPHI is/was/may again be a HUGE parts division of GM. Google it.

View attachment 577960 View attachment 577961
yes, I know this, but at least the box says what it is. Mine had no label at all on the box and nothing on the pump. I paid a premium price for a brand name product but got a knock off.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado etc
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lonfu, Your duplicate posts and pictures from the dead thread from 2012 have been moved to a hidden trash forum. Please let this thread serve as info for other Eldorado owners. Eldorado never got the removable fuel pump hatch in the trunk like the 2000 and later Seville/Devilles. there are many threads on that later procedure.
the pump hatch is under the rear seat in the center.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado etc
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
How did you know where to cut the hole?
I've done this on other GM cars but in the trunk area. Later models have the hole cut at the factory in this location, but I would look under the vehicle to see where the fuel tank is placed. I watched a vid on youtube, then verified where I thought it was located. The vid showed where it was on a sts seville of the same year. Exactly the same location as the Eldorado. My nervousness, was about hitting the tank with a mini grinder or drill, so the air nibbler was the obvious solution. There is about a 1" space between the center floor and the tank ridges that create a drain area for the pump head. The pump is a spring loaded affair that "seats" on the bottom of the plastic fuel tank. There is a slight protruding reservoir in the bottom of the tank where the pump is "seated", you can feel the spring pressure with your hand. I looked at the low point of the tank where the pump sits and it lined up with the center of the back seat floor. My original equipment service manual was no help locating where to cut the hatch. I could have cut the hatch at least 1" closer to the front of the car, the red rag in the pix. Essentially right at the carpet line. I left a 1" lip near the side bend so I could attach the sheet metal "nailer". After I reinstalled the back of the rear seat I would suggest that it be removed as I did, to give plenty of working room.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado etc
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Measure twice, cut once.

Yeah - - - I was stuck in the Seville thinking mode. 2 more doors ............
I could be wrong but I suspect you are thinking of a DeVille. They are located in the trunk area. The STS Seville's are the same body style as the Eldorado in 1996 so the tank access hole would be exactly the same.

·
Administrator
67,924 Posts
My 2002.5 STS has a fuel pump access plate bolted to the trunk floor just in front of the spare tire well. Pre-2000 Seville/Deville required a tank drop or your hole cut method. Eldorado never got the access hatch because it was slated for extinction in the 2002 model year.

A 1996 Seville is a four-door sedan and not like the two-door Eldorado coupe - different body styles.

Here's my pump assembly, showing the spring loaded rods and primary filter. Newer versions have the primary filter inside the housing.

Fuel pump assembly DELPHI.jpg

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado etc
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I only know about my car, I don't about every year of every model. I can share this video address, it convinced me to have a closer look at mine. You are lucky that your is so easy to access.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado etc
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
After installing the pump all my little trouble codes have disappeared and the accel rate has improved dramaticlly. The new pump is extremely quiet too. I can barely hear it fire up when I first turn on the key compared to the old one that sounded like a small air compressor, this in my quiet garage.

Now the hole is cut I would estimate that it will take me less than 2 hours to replace the pump again if it ever fails. I had a Dodge that I should have just cut the hole in the first place, as I had the aftermarket pumps fail every 10k miles or so until I broke down and bought a original man pump at 4 times the cost. 3 times I dropped that axle and tank. That is why I was willing to spring for the extra $$ for the original man pump. The after market pumps were very noisey too...

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado 1983 Seville
108 Posts
Lonfu... I have read various comments on here about the fuel replacement on the Eldos, and, watched videos on Youtube concerning the same. Might be I am missing something. Everyone says to avoid dropping the tank if at all possible but I have to disagree. I strongly suggest replacing the fuel filter at the same time the pump is removed, (however the method). The filter is located along the frame rail up alongside the tank and is a real bear to replace without removing the tank and in my experience, removing the tank is the preferred method. To my thinking, the time involved in cutting through the floor to provide an access panel to the pump, and resealing same, takes longer than actually dropping the tank. I did my '99 Eldo from start to finish, including the filter replacement, in less than 3 hours which included jacking the car up to wheels down, at home in the garage with a floor jack and stationary stands with an Airtex pump/filter combination from Rock Auto for less than 100 bucks.

Of course, "Christine", my '83 Seville had to get into the act also: She has the digital speedo, and, being a "frugal" hillbilly, I first tried a standard filter/pump replacement which does not work no matter how you try to adapt it, (potentiometer differences in the level registry), requiring a second tank drop to install the correct unit and the third tank drop was when the rubber hose, "split from age", on the pump failed. Neither vehicle presented a problem with the tank drops. I certainly adhere to the old adage of "To each his own" but if any of our members are contemplating replacing their pump assemblies, don't be intimidated with the thought of dropping the tank. Lots of scare tactics on Youtube in doing this but if you have elementary mechanical skills, you can do it yourself without any serious problems. Just my two cents worth bases on my experience.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado etc
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I've dropped about 30 or so fuel tanks. biggest 100 gallon tanks on moho's. smallest 3 gal tanks on "fuel injected scooters". So, I've done a few and know all the in's and outs. I have a remote fuel pump that I can use to remove the gas from the tank into 5 gal cans. Not my first gas tank rodeo.... since this was my personal car I felt like doing the job a bit different this time. When I say 2 hours, I mean time from backing in to driving off after detailing the interior. I liked doing it this way, no dirt in my face, no sloshed gas, no gashed tank bottoms and.... a clean car... once the seats are out, now that the hole has been cut, I'd say less than 30 mins to open the hatch and replace the pump.

On my car the filter is located on the outside edge of the unibody, just behind the drivers door, near the rear wheel well. it is one of the easiest fuel filters to replace, that I've ever done. I just replaced the filter about a month ago in my diagnosis process to determine what component had failed. It takes me less the 3 mins to replace the filter and most of that time is trying to not crimp the poly hose/tubing. There is no need to jack the car up to replace the fuel filter.

Both the internal and external fuel strainers were falling apart. They had holes in them and the material that they are made from was turning to sawdust. because of this I will replace the filter again next oil change.... see the pix

Here is the other benefit of cutting an access hole. the rubber orings in the fuel polypipes wear out and the poly pipes have to be replaced. If the polypipe gets bent/crimped it has now has weak spots at the crimp that often later on down the line start to leak. Here is some real redneck.... would you believe you can actually use regular rubber fuel line to replace them??? 60 grit sand paper on the plastic nipples, fuel injection psi rated fuel hose and hose clamps will hold the 40 to 50 psi pressure just fine... Makes replacing the fuel filter a bit tougher but how many autoparts stores have the polypipe the correct length, with clips, that run between the fuel filter and the pump for 1996 eldo in stock?

In 1962 the neighbor boys showed me how to pop a clutch to get the engine started. they pushed me down a hill in a 1939 model A flatbed truck, I popped the clutch and away I went.... what they didn't tell me is that the brakes didn't work and that they had propped the carb open.... been in love with vehicles ever since that first rush ride...

strangest thing I've ever seen? found a piece of white oak jambed through an alternator pivot mounting with a nail on each end to hold it in place.... dang if it didn't work...
strangest thing I've ever done? Attached a dog leash to a carb throttle because the accel cable broke and drove 400 miles to home... (it had cruise control)
hardest thing I've ever done? Waiting for PB Blaster to loosen exh man bolts, took 7 days for those things to be extracted without breaking. Still had to drill out 2 of the bolts that were broken before I started.... not my fav thing to do...

There is nothing that I can't do on a vehicle including ECM access with my laptop....

So, cutting an access hole under the back seat to get at the fuel pump was a "fun way" to make a boring repair get done...

The answer to my original question is that "yes, all 92 to 2002 eldo's have the fuel pump located in the same place. It looks like in about 98 the pump location in Sevilles is changed to under the trunk but I would look as I described earlier as to where the center reservoir of the tank is. Good luck to all you tinkers and keep on learning....

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado 1983 Seville
108 Posts
I have a 96 Eldo, is the pump location the same in all the Eldo's?
As stated in the above quote, both Submariner409 and I opined (love that word) that a novice was asking the question and responded accordingly without realizing your expertise. No offense was intended by my comment and, I am sure, on his part. You said you used a "nibbler" to cut the floor, something most of us don't have in the tool box. Just think of someone out there bypassing that usage and using a sawzall or jigsaw to cut their floor to duplicate the access to the pump! And somewhere along the line they will do just that and with the limited space between the floor and top of the tank all hell will break loose. Glad I won't be there to see/hear it.

I mentioned having to replace the fuel filter: My '99 is in such a position that I had to drop the tank to get to it. No way possible otherwise and i consider that replacement as absolutely important as the pump job. Was not aware the earlier models had one so easy to get to. Good old GM engineering decision as usual.

Had to laugh at the "joy" ride you took in the old truck, quite a rush, had a similar experience on the farm with a old tractor going down a steep hill back to the barn but I took out a barn door in the process. Love the old days!

Keep posting, want to hear more about the repairs you make to your '96, can probably adapt your fixes to my '99 and save me some aggravation with the short cuts you use. Good luck with your vehicle.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado etc
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yep, these are the "cats meow" when it comes to cutting sheet metal. I built a steel house for myself using a cutting wheel on a grinder and hand shears. Didn't know that air nibblers even existed. A cheap tool that saves time and leaves a good edge. I did practice a bit with it first through. Here is the link to the one that I bought. GM engineering is amazingly stupid sometimes... like the starter under the intake plenum.😁

1 - 20 of 21 Posts