Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Sedan Deville SW edition
8 Posts
Hello I need help in getting my Cadillac to start. It has been sitting close to a year if not longer. I am going to attempt to get it to start by doing a tune up. Any advice would really help me out.

I can't get my Cadillac to start up and I really want to start driving it again. Any advice would be really helpful.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Double posting won't help.
What exactly year/model are you dealing with and what have you attempted. Does it crank and just not start or No crank. Codes could be helpful also.
If no crank cable connections and battery are usual suspects.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Re: Cadillac Won't Start. Has been sitting for close to a year. Any Suggestions?

Does it crank and no start or simply no crank?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Cadillac Won't Start. Has been sitting for close to a year. Any Suggestions?

Sorry about that guys. I didn't think I would get any replies. Um I have a 1996 Cadillac Deville, sedan SouthWest Edition. It cranks but no start. I will have to get the codes as soon as I can sometime later today I will post them. I have the car stored in portland and I live in salem so it will take me a bit to get the codes. I know that the battery cables are kind of loose. I do get a service Transmission on the dash board. It has been sitting for a long time about 1 year or more. I will post more info over the weekend as I will be spending most of it trying to get my car to run. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts

Sorry about that guys. I didn't think I would get any replies.
Wrong forum for that kind of thinking.

It cranks but no start.
Might start by checking fuel pressure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll give it a try. What do I use to check fuel pressure. I am not really a car guy.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,404 Posts
Your fuel rail - under the engine beauty cover - has a test port at the end, covered by a black cap. It's simply a large tire valve - a Schrader valve. You "rent" a test set from a large parts store, uncap the port, and screw on the test gauge adapter. At key: ON the fuel pump runs for a second to prime the system - pressure 41 - 47 psi. At START, as the engine comes up to idle speed the fuel pump latches ON - running pressure should be 40 psi +.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you I am going to give it a try and post the results as soon as I can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was not able to check the fuel pressure. I am going to try again soon. I was able to find codes though. PC0603, IP1552, RS0038, PZ1552, PZ2470, PZ2471, PZ2472, PZ2473, PZ2476, RF2560. I could not find out what these codes mean. Can some one help me. I tried to start the vehicle but could not get it to crank. All I hear is a click when I turn the ignition on. Any Ideas?

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
There is a code definition link in the DTC Sticky at the top of the threads on the forum page where you posted this one.

----------

I tried to start the vehicle but could not get it to crank. All I hear is a click when I turn the ignition on. Any Ideas?
Sounds a lot like a dead battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks I will look them up. I will get the battery charged and see if it helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I charged the battery. still no crank and I was unable to find out what the codes mean. I looked at the sticky but could not find my codes.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I f you are just getting a click(starter attempting to work) very well could be a bad battery. I would have it load tested and check the connections at it.
Look harder as i bet you find those codes... If the link doesn't supply the i fo or can't find it there Google it.

A car battery that has been sitting a year plus uncharged(especially if still hooked to car) is more than likely junk.
Bad batteries are number one no crank problems followed by corroded cables/grounds.

·
Registered
1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9
1,540 Posts
I was able to find codes though. PC0603, IP1552, RS0038, PZ1552, PZ2470, PZ2471, PZ2472, PZ2473, PZ2476, RF2560. I could not find out what these codes mean.
I charged the battery. still no crank and I was unable to find out what the codes mean. I looked at the sticky but could not find my codes.
http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm
DTC P0603 Control Module Long Term Memory Reset

Where did you find these?
IP1552
RS0038
RF2560
PZ1552, PZ2470, PZ2471, PZ2472, PZ2473, PZ2476
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/45349-need-help-code-rf2560.html
QUOTE=Submariner409;12776234]That's not a code - it's a module ID number.
Codes (OBD-II) are a single letter followed by 4 digits, as in P 0300 - Miss detected.
(Some early 1996 models may have a jumble of old OBD1 and new OBD-II codes - 1996 was supposed to be the changeover year for the diagnostics protocol)

P = Powertrain
B = Body
C = Chassis
U = Power and data
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm
DTC P0603 Control Module Long Term Memory Reset

Where did you find these?
IP1552
RS0038
RF2560
PZ1552, PZ2470, PZ2471, PZ2472, PZ2473, PZ2476
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/45349-need-help-code-rf2560.html
QUOTE=Submariner409;12776234]That's not a code - it's a module ID number.
Codes (OBD-II) are a single letter followed by 4 digits, as in P 0300 - Miss detected.
(Some early 1996 models may have a jumble of old OBD1 and new OBD-II codes - 1996 was supposed to be the changeover year for the diagnostics protocol)

P = Powertrain
B = Body
C = Chassis
U = Power and data
[/QUOTE]
IP same as IPC codez may be listed as B codez IIRC.
RS is suspension code IIRC (96 uses one off electronic struts)
PZ2476= B2476 - Cellular Phone Select Service Switch Malfunction (keypad signal circuit)

PZ codes will/may be listed as B codez since that is what the are OBDII. Try search with B instead of PZ. Fyi PZM is body control module and is also referred to as BCM

Personally I avoid all 96 models as they are one off and can a mixture of electronics which makes life difficult sometimes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the battery tested and its still good. I get no crank and I don't here a click either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts