Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Hello, HopefulOwner! Welcome aboard... And thank you for signing up! I'm not the best one to answer this, but I do know that the Concours is the sportier model. Sorta like the STS vs the SLS and the ETC vs the ESC... There's no hood ornament - it's located inside the grill instead, there's a center-console on '97's and up, there's 300hp as opposed to 275, probably bigger gears and there's probably a firmer ride.. Maybe more sporty seats as well - not sure..

Again, I'm not the best one to answer your question.. Let's see what others say. Regardless, you're looking at getting a very classy and powerful vehicle!

·
Registered
96 Concours, 90 Deville
112 Posts
Re: 1996 Deville vs Concours

Sal Collaziano said:
Hello, HopefulOwner! Welcome aboard... And thank you for signing up! I'm not the best one to answer this, but I do know that the Concours is the sportier model. Sorta like the STS vs the SLS and the ETC vs the ESC... There's no hood ornament - it's located inside the grill instead, there's a center-console on '97's and up, there's 300hp as opposed to 275, probably bigger gears and there's probably a firmer ride.. Maybe more sporty seats as well - not sure..

Again, I'm not the best one to answer your question.. Let's see what others say. Regardless, you're looking at getting a very classy and powerful vehicle!
The hood ornament that is missing makes the car look several years newer since it mimics more modern body styles. Mostly just creature comforts, but they are nice. The suspension is nicer(the computer adjusts more often). I forgot the rest, but I may take a look at my 96 Concours manual if I remember.

Here's a link: http://www.theautochannel.com/content/vehicles/new/reviews/solo9614.html

Also: http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2003.htm

·
Registered
92 Posts
HOPEFULOWNER said:
Trying to find out the difference between a plain Deville and a Deville Concours? Can you help?
I own a 97 concours. Biggest difference that makes it worth the extra moolah
1) center console w/ wood trim
2) separate driver and passenger seats, not a bench
3) analog guage cluster (lights up red) which is way sportier and less "old people" style if you ask me
4) bigger gears, later shifting, and 25 more horses. It is noticeable, but the standard deville is fairly quick for it's size
5) firmer suspension, but it is a very small difference and not that sporty

90% of why I bought the concours is because the analog guages and the center console, as well as a much much much nicer looking stereo system. Looks like part of the car, not just a box in your dash. The seats don't offer much support in the way of performance but they are comfy. P.S. also the grill does not come in chrome. When my friends see the car from outside, they think it is nice. When they see the inside, they remark with "I didn't know caddy's look like this inside".

·
Registered
35 Posts
Concous Baby, Concours!

Don’t know about the ’96 Concours-but I can tell you about the ’99 Concours-owned for several months now. It is indeed the ‘sporty’ edition of the Deville which is a bit of an anachronism although the horses ARE upped slightly. I chose this model because it is a bit cleaner-no hood mounted ornament, no glitzy badging anywhere. The Cadillac crest is inset in the center of the grille. Also-unlike the regular Deville all chrome grille-this one is dark grey with a chrome surround. Fog lights are standard. Also it is badged Deville Concours on the side as opposed to just Deville.

Interior is different. Big difference is the instrument panel-ANALOG and the information display/controls interface is far more modern-not the older look square buttons. There is a center console (Seville-ish) and to my eyes is a lot more modern than the other Deville variants that leave that space on the lower center dash filled with a giant ashtray door. You also get 2 ceiling mounted illuminated vanity mirrors for the rear seat passengers-it’s a Cadillac after all.

It snarfs up the PREMIUM fuel to no end-a big expense for which to prepare yourself. I do tons of interstate driving so to some extent the MPGs are acceptable-at least that’s what I tell myself. It is a great car to drive, has TONS of power and despite its gargantuan size absolutely flies down the road when asked. That’s the most fun aspect of this car. It is completely stealth-in most peoples minds conservative and for the Sansabelt crowd. But let someone dick with you on the highway and you will easily leave them wondering what that thing was.

All in all it is a great, classic good looking car with formal lines. And to a certain extent, a somewhat rare car. I was in Manhattan 2 weeks ago and took notice of the cars. There were billions of Lincolns but I only saw 3 Devilles (quite a few Escalades though). Not sure if that is good or bad (Katshot operates a fleet of Caddies so maybe reliability may not be as bad as I fear). Point being, in a sea of SUVs and imports a big old Cadillac stands out. In a good way. Good luck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Standard Concours Options

In 1996 the standard options that seperated the Concours from the Deville were as follows:

-Better geared transmission for more top end but less off the line torque.
-25 more horsepower from the Northstar engine.
-Higher fuel shut off speed limit.
-"Flashier" trim package including doubble wide grooved body moldings
and optional chrome plating from the bottom of the chassis to the molding.
-No hood ornament, instead logo is larger and on the grill
-Real wood inteiror trim.
-Dual rear illuminated vanity mirrors.
-Firmer ride for better handiling
-CV-RSS (Continuallly Vairable Road Sensing Suspension) instead of standarad RSS (Road Sensing Suspinsion).
-Upgraded sound system including 11th Center Channel Speaker
-Magnasteer technology which tightens the steering wheel as speed increases.
-Rainsense computer which automatically adjusts the wiper speed according to exteiror moisture content.

·
Registered
8 Posts
HOPEFULOWNER said:
Trying to find out the difference between a plain Deville and a Deville Concours? Can you help?
Well I will have to say I have a 95 Deville... The biggest diff is the motor.. The stand. deville has a 4.9 (200HP) and the concours has the 24 valve.. "North Star"...(275) I have talked to a lot of people and in my opinion you don't want a NS before 2000 or so. The 4.9 has a solid reputation and gives very nice performance.. + I get 25 mpg intown and 27 on the highway... Not bad for a boat!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Northstar

The 4.9L was a fantastic motor but after the 95 model year was effectively laid to rest (less a very few rare instances and spacial orders). After that the Northstar became its standard predecessor in the Devilles although it had been avaliabe to Seville and STS owners since late 93. The Northstar is also a remarkable motor, tons of power, sleek design, and technologically ahead of itself. Yet just like every engine ever built it had a few inital bugs; namely the roumord "doomed" aluminum bolts that stripped out under normal operating conditions and the infamous oil pan gasket replacemet. However; it has out lived its introductory difficulties and seen minor mechanical upgrades since then, and it to will be hailed as the tried and true engine the 4.9L once was. Bottom line - Change is good.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
getting OT here for a bit...... is it possible at all to put a '96 STS or '97 Concours interrior in to a '93 DeVille (which has the 80's interrior?)

I LOVE the center consol, analog gauges (including tach and temp, and 140mph speedo) the newer dash how it curves up for the driver etc..... is it a direct replacement.....is that possible to do something like that? omg, that + the looks of my '93 Coupe would = such an amazing car, I'd be in heaven for a long time..... then just gotta hot rod it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts