Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

When leaving work today, the DIC popped up a "Service Ignition System" message. I've been having random problems starting on the first crank for a few months, but chalked it up to a dirty fuel filter or something. it only happened if the engine had been off for a medium amount of time, that is, more than 20 minutes but less than a few hours, if that makes any sense. it always started on the second attempt, though.

I pulled the codes, and got two history codes PC1350 (IGN control system), PC 1375 (IC 24X Reference Circuit High Voltage), but after it scrolled through all the systems for current codes, the PCM didn't show a current trouble code. it just said "PCM?"

what i'm afraid of is this: that the ignition control module (PCM) has failed completely, and i'm driving around in module mode, something along these lines:

"The ignition system has two modes of operation: "module mode" and "ignition control mode." In ignition control mode, the PCM controls ignition timing using sensor inputs. If there's a problem in the PCM or with its sensor inputs, the module mode takes over and runs the engine with a fixed 10 degrees of advance. The engine continues to run (essentially a limp-in mode) but with reduced performance."

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us100232.htm

that sounds bad, and expensive.

anybody confirm or deny my suspicions, based on the above info? any help would be greatly appreciated.

regards
EJH.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE:

okay. started up and drove fine to work today. Service Engine Light "off", no appreciable loss of performance or mileage.

i'm starting to wonder if it was a one time voltage spike or something...

jeez.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts