Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
none
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm a new guy to this forum and Cadillacs. I've got a question. A dealer in my area has a 1996 DeVille for sale for $2950. It has 145,000 miles. They claim that it is in excellent shape inside and out. Apparently all accessories work well. It seems like a good deal to me. I have heard pros and cons about these cars. Great ride, good reliability, etc. and then some say "run away from the Northstar engine. Nothing but trouble and expensive repairs". Can some of you guys and gals ring in and give me some advice about this car in general and the engine? I would sure appreciate it. Thank you!!
Neb

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,032 Posts
If, and only if, you can get an ironclad powertrain warranty beyond 30 days - no bones about it - 145,000 is high mileage, and every rotating component, from wheel bearings to axle seals to alternators to engine parts is well worn, not to mention all the suspension parts, which are not cheap, by a long shot.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
Head gaskets are the weak link. You might have them give you a guarantee in writing that the head gaskets are not leaking. That way if they do on a month, you have something to fall back on.

·
Registered
95 sedan deville
113 Posts
well read up on here about the northstar (N*...took me a couple days to figure out what that was on here)

Some people like em...some dont.

I happen to have a 4.9L which is been claimed as a bulletproof motor..and so far with mine...I can agree with that theory....mine is pretty tuff so far.

Check out the auto leveler ride system....find out how to pull the codes (located at the top of you thread here....a HUGE help for you in your dealing on the car)...gives you a heads up over the dealer (used this yesterday on another caddy I went to look at and showed the dealer the whole car was a mess in the motor system...I obviously DIDNT buy it)

Basically I would recommend to go over the car with a fine tooth comb and have a SEPERATE mechanic look at it that YOU trust.

·
Registered
Cadillac
282 Posts
I love Caddys, and think they are very stylish cars. But just like any luxury car, they are very expensive to repair and maintain. A '96, regardless of how well it looks, is getting near the end of it's "economically practical" life. Of course, if you can do major repair work yourself, you might enjoy it for awhile. But it won't take but a few trips to the dealer for major service to make your 3 grand investment double.

·
Registered
none
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the advice. It sure did make me think. I got kinda caught up in how sharp it looked, but I was a bit worried about the mileage. I think I'll keep looking. Thanks again!
Neb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts