Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm experiencing a crank, but no start on my 1996 Cadillac Deville. The car was running previously and it stalled in traffic out of nowhere to which it would no longer start again, I was able to get it towed back home. I checked the fuel pressure when turning the key to the ON position, not START and it goes up to 10psi and then drops to zero within about a second. I am also not receiving any DTC codes pointing me to any issues. From my research I found that 3 of the main problems could be the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, or the fuel filter.

I am looking for some help and some tips to help me further my investigation into pinpoint what the actual problem could be.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,475 Posts
Your fuel pump is D.O.A.
Factory spec's are 45-50 psi. While it will run at somewhat lower fuel pressures, 10 psi won't do it. To add insult to injury, the pre-2000 Devilles did not have an access panel, so you are in for a tank drop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How certain are you when saying it's the fuel pump? Also, is there any tests I can do to check if it's the fuel pump specifically?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
21,281 Posts
I'm experiencing a crank, but no start on my 1996 Cadillac Deville. The car was running previously and it stalled in traffic out of nowhere to which it would no longer start again, I was able to get it towed back home. I checked the fuel pressure when turning the key to the ON position, not START and it goes up to 10psi and then drops to zero within about a second. I am also not receiving any DTC codes pointing me to any issues. From my research I found that 3 of the main problems could be the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, or the fuel filter.

I am looking for some help and some tips to help me further my investigation into pinpoint what the actual problem could be.

Any ideas?
======================
I agree with Ranger - faulty fuel pump -

I am also not receiving any DTC codes pointing me to any issues.
fuel pump/fuel pressure is NOT monitored -

From my research I found that 3 of the main problems could be
the fuel pump

BINGO -

fuel pressure regulator,
the FPR - Fuel Pressure Regulator is vacuum operated -
IT uses engine vacuum to REDUCE fuel pressure from the fuel pump to the injectors -

or the fuel filter.
a clogged/restricted fuel filter would reduce the VOLUME of fuel being delivered -
with the engine OFF - you would see "normal" fuel pressure -
when the engine started - the pressure would immediately and dramatically reduce -

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
21,281 Posts
How certain are you when saying it's the fuel pump? Also, is there any tests I can do to check if it's the fuel pump specifically?
=====================
How certain are you when saying it's the fuel pump?
99% - assuming you checked the FUSE and it is good -

you could up that to 99.99%
if you probed the wiring harness at the fuel pump with either a test light or a DVOM

is there any tests I can do to check if it's the fuel pump specifically?
YES - exactly what you already did - with the fuel pressure gauge -

1 - 6 of 6 Posts