Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
De Ville DTS Northstar
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car is currently for sale. All options 134k mileage. Has the low oil pressure/stop engine light issues. After checking KBB values ranging from 3200and up for fair condition. I would be a fool to pass this car up would'nt I?

The asking price is $750. The low oil pressure light came on 1 1/2 miles from his house. So he drove it home and parked it 1 week ago. He called his mechanic(local guy no cad exp.) who told him its an oil pump. Which to his credit it could be but never actually looked at the car. Am I right and wouldn't I be a fool to pass it up. Even with the worst case senario of new motor I would be in the KBB range.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,115 Posts
First off it is not a DTS. The DTS didn't come around until 2000.

No, a "New" motor is going to put you well over that range. Used or rebuilt might be another story. You'd have to price them out.

·
Registered
De Ville DTS Northstar
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 1996 De Ville Northstar

Ranger,

thanks for the reply. I am going to look at the car tomorrow. Looks like a good buy given the price of rebuilt motors here. With the blank coming out a rebuild is only 2K installed in my area. Any other advice or things I should check before purchase.

D

·
0 Posts
From experience I have learned that you will be well ahead of the game by buying a clean, fully functional car for more money than you will be by buying someone else's headache for cheap. From experience I also know not to buy a N* as well........................

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
If your going to buy the car AND you get a rebuilt motor, you should be safe from head gaskets for awhile, but no guarantees can be made. I'd make sure that whoever was rebuilding my engine used an insert for the head bolts.

·
Registered
04 DEVILLE
258 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think for around $3000 you could buy a '96 DeVille without engine problems. I know I'm planning on selling mine shortly, and I was going to ask less than $3000..and my engine is great and no head gasket problems, either...other annoying little problems, but the engine still runs great :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts