Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 1996 Seville STS that is displaying the TC0073 code.

I have tried the suggested methods to get rid of the code as my car has the TCM with the "bug" however the traction control light stubbornly refuses to go out.

I am clearing the code right, it is quite unlikely I am doing something wrong in my opinion.

The light won't go off, as I said.

So if this problem is "real" what can be causing it?

I just dropped $500 for a fuel pump replacement so I'm not really in a mood for another major repair but on the other hand this issue is driving me bonkers.

Thanks to all of you. Any thoughts on this please let me know.

Frank

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, I already did that. There is also a grinding or metal rubbing against metal sounding type noise coming from the front right. It is constant as long as the car is running and doesn't vary with speed, brakes being applied or anything. Not the brakes as they were replaced less than 6 months ago. Not sure if this is related but I suspect it is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I didn't really research this so the trouble code I had might be different but I think I had the same problem a while back. As I recall the write up in the service manual had a foot note that asked me to check the rear seat blower motor switch. If it was ON then the electronic control unit needed to be replaced. I said heck with it and just made sure to turn of the rear blower motor switch was always off when I turned the ignition off

Good Luck

Scott

·
Registered
300 Posts
The problem your Seville is having is a communication problem between the PCM and the EBTCM, or electronic brake and traction control module. The most likely cause is an internal EBTCM failure, although associated wiring has been known to set this code. This is not usually a do-it-yourself repair, as proper diagnosis requires a breakout box and Tech 2. If your ABS light is not on, only your traction light, you simply have no traction control, which probably won't kill you to live without for a while. EBTCM is fairly expensive. Good Luck!:)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Your constant grinding sound up front is probably a generator bearing or A/C clutch bearing gone bad, again should be professionally diagnosed. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone change the generator when the A/C clutch was the culprit. My money rides on the A/C clutch... Again, Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I also have the TC0073 code. What do you mean with the 'TCM bug"?
And which box in the trunk is the EBTCM? The silver square one?

Herman

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here it is:

I found that there was a technical service

bulletin regarding this particular trouble code - TC0073. Its

bulleting 63-50-16 dated May 1996.

Basically, the bulletin indicates that there was a software bug

in the EBTCM (Electronic Brake / Traction Control Module) for

1996 Cadillacs manufactured with the last 6 digits of the VIN

number that are smaller numbers than as follows:

Concours / Deville --- 280478

Eldorado ------------- 614516

Seville -------------- 826978

If you are not having a "real" problem and are getting an

invalid DTC due to the software bug you should be able to

duplicate the problem as follows:

First, turn the rear air conditioning blower to the lowest fan

speed setting. Then, reset the TCS codes to that TC0073 is no

longer shown. Now, turn off your engine. Restart the engine

after a few minutes and then run the diagnostics again. You

should find that the TC0073 does not show up. You should be

able to drive around, turn the engine on and off, etc. and the

TC0073 should not appear provided that you leave the rear air

blower set to the lowest setting. After trying this out, turn

the rear air to the highest blower setting and then turn off the

engine. When you restart the car and run diagnostics the TC0073

should reappear again as though you have a problem. If this is

what happens and your VIN number is within the range as

indicated above then you are getting an invalid TC0073 message.

You do not need to do anything about the message. You could

replace the EBTCM since the new ones no longer have the software

bug but that would probably cost you well over $600 and it just

isn't necessary.

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
HELLO THERE
ANOTHER NEW GUY HERE NEEDING HELP!
MY CADDY IS A 1996 STS AND MY PROBLEM IS SIMILER TO WHATS BEING DISCUSSED, BUT NOT EXACTLY!
MY CAR STARTS OUT OK WITH THE SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT OUT AND IT RUNS LIKE A RAPED APE, THEN THE SVC TC LIGHT COMES ON AND I LOOSE POWER. IT HAPPENS AT DIFFERENT TIMES AND DISTANCES. THIS IS RELATIVLY NEW DEVLOPMENT.
I DONT KNOW IF TIS RELATED BUT EVERSINCE IVE HAD THE CA (ABOUT 5 YEARS) IF YOU TURN THE TRAC. CONTR. BUTTON TO THE OFF (SMOKE THE TIRE) POSITION THE CAR WOULD BECOME MEEKID INSTEAD OF RABBID LIKE IT SHOULD.
YHANK YOU
ANDREW
AKA GRANDDADDYBEAR

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,729 Posts
I DONT KNOW IF TIS RELATED BUT EVERSINCE IVE HAD THE CA (ABOUT 5 YEARS) IF YOU TURN THE TRAC. CONTR. BUTTON TO THE OFF (SMOKE THE TIRE) POSITION THE CAR WOULD BECOME MEEKID INSTEAD OF RABBID LIKE IT SHOULD.
When you turn off the T/C, you are also disabling 1st gear, thus the "meekid" response.

Did you ever get an answer where the box was located?
What box?

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Good Morning Ranger
Thank You For Your Response To My Question.
After Reading The All The Other Threads I Went For A Drive And Counted The Shifts. Someone Must Have Stolen One Because I Only Had 3.
Is The Tc Module Known For Going Bad?
Thank You Again And Have A Great Day!
Andrew/granddaddybear

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,729 Posts
Bear,
We haven't seen a lot of problems here with the EBTCM's. Other than the TSB listed above, they seem to be rather reliable. I have never had a problem with one.

Tony,
Follow the brake lines from the master cylinder. They'll lead you to the EBTCM.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Been off line a while - the EBTCM is directly beneath the Air Filter. I had same problems with losing first gear and service engine light and Traction control light. I purchased used EBTCM from Cadillac Heaven (used) for 150 plus 30 shipping (180 total). First one they sent had same software bug and they shipped 2nd one without any hassle and no additional charge. I just had to dispose of the first one they shipped. If you have bacis skill with tools it is an easy swap. Just remember to disconnet battery. One bolt in front and two in bracket in the rear. Then 5 screws hold the EBTCM in place. The 5th screw is under the front mounting bolt. Slide the rubber boot off and remove.

PS. Make sure to request EBTCM from car with VIN higher than ones listed in earlier post.

·
Registered
96 sevlle SLS Cadillac
29 Posts
So EBTCM is directly beneath the Air Filter is it the piece with the brake lines going into it? About how long did it take to remove and install and any special tools requried

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
It is mounted directly on the opposite side from the brake lines. No special tools, torex and socket. Lift up on harness clip to release plug. Move wire harness out of the way and loosen 3 nuts which hold assembly in place. gently lift assembly up from bracket. remove 4 screws (one in each corner) and 1 screw under rubber stud used to hold EBTCM in bracket. Took about 30 to 60 minutes. You have to get under car to reach nuts facing driver's side tire but you do not have to remove tire.

·
Registered
96 sevlle SLS Cadillac
29 Posts
Trying to order a used part the one on ebay doesnt show brakeline connections is that the correct piece ? or is it the one with the brake lines hooked into it. as in you instructions you didnt mention bleeding brakes

·
Registered
96 sevlle SLS Cadillac
29 Posts
I got the answer the piece with the brake lines going into it is called the Brake pressure modulator to which the Electronic brake/traction control module is attached to. Got a used one both pieces from 96 Eldo later serial number. $ 95.00 for both shipping included Rt 65 scrap yard in PA.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts