Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this 1996 Seville STS for 15 months now with no problems at all. Yesterday I get in the car as usual , turn the key and nothing happens. The DIC displays "Starting disabled due to theft protection problem" and "Remove ignition key". After that Nothing. I read in the owners' manual that it is supposed to display "Wait 3 minutes" but it doesn't! I have cleaned the key, tried the spare key, nothing. Locked the car and left it overnight, same symptoms this morning. Can someone help, please? Janis

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Inspect your keys, you will see a black plastic pallet with a metal contact in the middle. Inside is a resistor of a certain value (out of 10 or so standard values). When you insert the key into the ignition the contacts line up with the ones in the ignition and the PCM read the resistance value. If it does not match the expected value then you saw what happened. Clean the metal contacts on both sides of the key and try from there. But since you already tried the spare key set probably not the keys are the problem but the ignition cylinder.
Probably you are looking to an ignition cylinder R&R. Some people go around this by simply inserting a resistor of the same value as the one on the key pallet on the wires between the ignition and PCM so the PCM is tricked to believe the correct key is in the contact. You still need the proper key (pattern) to start the car (as in any other car) but not the resistor on the key.

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks N*Caddy. Your advice is appreciated. Unfortunately I have no idea how to R&R the ignition lock, nor even how to get it out. Is this even a job a handyman can do?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts