Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my 1995 STS to Pacific Raceways up here in the Seattle area. She ran a 15.11 @ 93 MPH, very consistent over several passes. However, I was under the assumption these cars would run 14.7, some even clam times of 14.5 completely stock. Where should I look to improve on my times a bit? I'm not expecting to hit 13's or anything, but getting her into the 14's would be nice.

btw, she's got 134,000 well taken care of miles on her and still running like new.

·
Registered
Cadillac
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
95 STS performance?

OK so i've read a few posts on here that state the 1995 STS is the best for performance mods in that you can do more with it than any other year. This is the year I have. However, I cannot find examples of exact things I can do to it that others cannot.. Anyone know?

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
is she completely stock? were you running regular or premium?

I'm still learning about the northstar in particular but there are the obvious things for any car - high flow air filter, air-box mod, new exhaust, high-end plugs and wires, etc...

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond STS
218 Posts
That's a decent MPH for a 15.11, guess the car probably could use more traction at the line? What was your 60 foot time?

·
Registered
Cadillac
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a decent MPH for a 15.11, guess the car probably could use more traction at the line? What was your 60 foot time?
I don't have my timeslip on me at the moment, so im not sure on the 60 ft. I do recall very minimal wheel spin at launch, just enough to bark the tires a bit nothing major. One thing i did NOT do, was start out in 2nd gear. I read a few post today on here that starting in 2nd gear increases line pressure and gives firmer shifts, and to my amazment it actually did a noticable difference! I'm not sure if it'll do much for my ET at the track, but that shifts are firmer.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
15.11 isn't out of the ball park for a 12 year old car with well over 100,000 miles. In fact, I think it's spot-on. Check out my compilation of FWD Northstar acceleration times:

http://www.jnjhome.net/cadillac/images/caddyperf.gif

There was a '95 STS that did the 1/4 mile in 14.7. There was also one that did it in 15.2. A '94 STS did it in 15-flat. A '93 STS did it in 15.4. A '97 STS was 15.3.

These are times from rags like Car & Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend, etc. They're all pretty consistent with each other, and with your time of 15.11. The two fastest ones I have a record of (from magazine tests) were the '95 STS and an '01 STS, both at 14.7 seconds. Most of them hover around 15 seconds or a little more.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
What was the weather? If you're looking to compare your car to others you need to do so in comparable weather. August isn't a good month to try and get your best et.

·
Registered
2005 SRX V6 AWD
429 Posts
Pretty much the same as my 95. What was the weather? Stock rims? appropriate tire size? I have 18" and its affecting my accelaration. Also i find this car really likes cold dry air.

·
Registered
Cadillac
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What was the weather? If you're looking to compare your car to others you need to do so in comparable weather. August isn't a good month to try and get your best et.
It was a night drag, so the temp wasn't bad, around 65 - 70 degrees if I recall correctly

1 - 14 of 14 Posts