Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm planning on retiring my 95 (probably parting it out) and swapping the drive train into my 87 Brougham this summer.

My question is....The LT1 has about 136k miles on it. It does leak a little oil but not much. I always keep the oil full etc. and it runs great. Is it worth taking it to a re builder and having a full on rebuild done before swapping it in or do you think I could get away with replacing some seals/gaskets and just cleaning up the block etc?

What are your opinions? I know it's hard to say without seeing the inside of the engine and looking over the cylinders etc but what route would you guys go?

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
outsider said:
Well I'm planning on retiring my 95 (probably parting it out) and swapping the drive train into my 87 Brougham this summer.

My question is....The LT1 has about 136k miles on it. It does leak a little oil but not much. I always keep the oil full etc. and it runs great. Is it worth taking it to a re builder and having a full on rebuild done before swapping it in or do you think I could get away with replacing some seals/gaskets and just cleaning up the block etc?

What are your opinions? I know it's hard to say without seeing the inside of the engine and looking over the cylinders etc but what route would you guys go?
I would say replace the leaking seals and install it. It still has quite a bit of life in it.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,724 Posts
I agree 100%. LT1s go a long time without needing major service. Most people find crosshatching on the bores when they pull heads of 100k plus engines. I'm in the exact same position as you. I pulled the 150k LT1 out of my parts car to go in my project wagon. I'm doing a new intake gasket, oil pan and gasket, valve cover gaskets, and water pump. Well, a better cam, and springs, and rockers. Have to have fun, too!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I do have the intake gasket already (I was going to replace it a while back but never got around to it.) The water pump and opti were replaced a few years back as well as the plugs and wire. I'll be needing a new oil pan gasket (and maybe a pan...) as mine always has some oil on it.

Guess we'll see what's up when I get there!

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,715 Posts
Hold up. What happened to your '95?!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The frame is pretty rusty but not fully gone. it's just got a lot of rot on the underside. Holes in the floor pans and i'm just getting tired of chasing electrical gremlins with it.

I love my 87 but I hate the drive train. I love my 95's drive train but never was a big fan of much else on it. Decided to combine the two into one super beast :)

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
Sorry to hear the 95 has cancer and other ailments. I am always saddened when cars are given up on and chopped up into pieces. Good luck with your projects.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
atleast the parts can live on and help others :)

it's a factory hard top (no vinyl) and most of the exterior trim is in great shape. I'm sure someone here could use some of these parts :)
I did plugs and wires on it last summer I believe but I will also look them over and make sure they're still looking good. This may be a good time to fix the exhaust leaks too since I also suffer from the common rear exhaust bolts being broken off...

What other stuff should I do once I have that engine out? any maintenance things that can/should be done?

Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
I dont know if you can get the opti cap off without taking the opti all the way out but you should take it off and see if it is in good condition. It wears just like a regular cap. You can see in the pic that the cap and rotor have build up on them.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Use this time to upgrade the opti, plugs, wires, thermostat, water pump. A nice set of long tube headers wouldn't hurt either!

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
How are the plastic inner fender splash shields (in front of the front wheels). I need the RH side....

----------

What other stuff should I do once I have that engine out? any maintenance things that can/should be done?
All I did to mine was the manifold bolts and dropped it right in. If you want to do an air pump delete, it's easier while the engine is out. Plugs and wires too.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the splash shields are in good shape. I'll have to check when I get home but if I recall I removed them to do my plugs and wires last summer and they were good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts