Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am having a problem with my 95 Fleetwood.
The interior lights stay on when I park the car, usually
they go out after 25 seconds. When I turn the key
to run they stay on ....I turn off the ignition they remain on ...
I need to disconnect the battery in order for them to turn off
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thank you

·
Registered
224 Posts
There is a fuse that you can remove for the dome lights in the fuse panel on the drivers side of the dash.

This is an over complex system connected to many door, handle, tamper switches, relays, and 2 modules.
The factory manual has countless pages all over the chapter 8 covering this system.
Makes it difficult to follow the wiering and understanding the full operation & features.
Such as it makes a diference if you press the brake after turning the key off on what the lights & door locks do.

The dignosis section is designed to use the factory body computer scanner.
The scanner will give you switch status, test relays, etc.
Many aftermarket scanners don't have body comeputer functions.
The best you can do by going this direction is to try and pull the body computer codes.

Some say the trunk lock cylinder tamper switch is known to cause problems.
It's easy to disconect by opening the trunk and unplugging the switch on the pack of the lock cylinder.

Bset you can do is get a wiering diagram, volt ohm meter, climb in the truck, unplug the body computer (BCM), and start testing. Need the factory manual to get the diagrams. But be warned it is very hard to follow over all the pages. Even then if you find the culprate circuit, it still can be one of many things.
In another words thers are about 4 circuits that signal the BCM to turn on the interior lights and each one of those circuits have about 4 switches that signal the lights to turn on.

That still does not rule out a bad BCM or relay.
The worst is when it is intermitant.

On top of the lights staying on it seemed like the alarm would trip for no reason.
If you don't use the remote lock or power locks it dose not arm the alarm.

Another place to look is there are many other posts with the same problems.

Mine seemed to be an intermitant connection at the BCM or an BCM with a internal connection problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,436 Posts
My bet your problem is the module for your remote. From the inside of your back seat muscle off the cover of your 3rd brake light.. The module is under the light. There are just a few clips holding it there, but they will pop off. Now just unplug the module. Your remote won't work , but just see how the lights work now. If they don't stay on , I'd say its the module.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a fuse that you can remove for the dome lights in the fuse panel on the drivers side of the dash.

This is an over complex system connected to many door, handle, tamper switches, relays, and 2 modules.
The factory manual has countless pages all over the chapter 8 covering this system.
Makes it difficult to follow the wiering and understanding the full operation & features.
Such as it makes a diference if you press the brake after turning the key off on what the lights & door locks do.

The dignosis section is designed to use the factory body computer scanner.
The scanner will give you switch status, test relays, etc.
Many aftermarket scanners don't have body comeputer functions.
The best you can do by going this direction is to try and pull the body computer codes.

Some say the trunk lock cylinder tamper switch is known to cause problems.
It's easy to disconect by opening the trunk and unplugging the switch on the pack of the lock cylinder.

Bset you can do is get a wiering diagram, volt ohm meter, climb in the truck, unplug the body computer (BCM), and start testing. Need the factory manual to get the diagrams. But be warned it is very hard to follow over all the pages. Even then if you find the culprate circuit, it still can be one of many things.
In another words thers are about 4 circuits that signal the BCM to turn on the interior lights and each one of those circuits have about 4 switches that signal the lights to turn on.

That still does not rule out a bad BCM or relay.
The worst is when it is intermitant.

On top of the lights staying on it seemed like the alarm would trip for no reason.
If you don't use the remote lock or power locks it dose not arm the alarm.

Another place to look is there are many other posts with the same problems.

Mine seemed to be an intermitant connection at the BCM or an BCM with a internal connection problem.

Good luck.
Thank you for your response...
I just purchased the car yesterday , the PO just didn't want to deal with it.
The car is no nice I had to save it.
Thank you for your inputs. I now have a place to start.
I will give you a report on what I find .
For now I replaced the battery and one cable..... I will search for a manual / wiring Diagram ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bet your problem is the module for your remote. From the inside of your back seat muscle off the cover of your 3rd brake light.. The module is under the light. There are just a few clips holding it there, but they will pop off. Now just unplug the module. Your remote won't work , but just see how the lights work now. If they don't stay on , I'd say its the module.
Wow ,
Thats a great tip. As soon as I get a chance ill try that.
What is the official name of that module. ? Do you know if there is a replacement available?
Thank you so much...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I always find a used one. If you do have to get a new one you will have to reprogram the remotes. Very easy takes 5 mins.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Think it's the 20A fuse 3rd row from the bottom and 4th from the right in the fuse box located in the dash near door jamb.

The module described by drmenard is the "Remote Control Door Lock Receiver Theft Deterant Module" also listed as "RCDLR/TDM". Most would just call it a door lock reciever. It's listed as an option, but would think by 95 on a car like this most would have the remote door locks.

Many would call the other module located in the trunk behind the back seat a body computer or BCM. It's official name is the "Central Control Module" or "CCM".

If you have continuity between BCM connector 1 terminal B11 then it may be the RCDLR, trunk tamper switch, L/R door switches, or R/R door switches. It dose not include the L/R & R/R door handle switches on that circuit.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
When I have had the trunk switch cause a problem, it was always setting off the alarm , horn blowing, at any time . Mostly in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
96 FWB
207 Posts
Very good sir
Thanks.
Mr. -C,
2 weeks = did you track it down yet? I did not see mentioned where other D- owners have found sim. problem from just a door switch going bad. One was from a switch not getting enough 'open' after door closed. I don't recall how it's adjustable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mr. -C,
2 weeks = did you track it down yet? I did not see mentioned where other D- owners have found sim. problem from just a door switch going bad. One was from a switch not getting enough 'open' after door closed. I don't recall how it's adjustable.
Oh .... !m sorry ...Well, I do think I found the problem. Thank you for reminding me. Im up to my Elbows with the water pump at the moment. Theres a bracket that doesent want to come off....The cooling system is just nasty .......... Looks like brown pea soup....
So the electrical problem seems to be the little white dongle in the trunk. It appears that the trunk lock was changed out. (My keys dont fit) the dongle was attached to the wiring harness via 2 wires. There is a third braided pigtail attached to the other end of the dongle. I assume that attaches to the lock some how. It does not. I disconnected the dongle and now the lights go out as they should.

I have the battery out and the car is apart for the pump and ignition parts.

·
Registered
96 FWB
207 Posts
Oh .... !m sorry ...Well, I do think I found the problem. ... Im up to my Elbows with the water pump at the moment. Theres a bracket that doesent want to come off........
Good on the light. What bracket? Did you start a thread on the WP?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No ..... just got it off .... theres a trick to it ....
BTW this is my first GM so im just learning ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts