Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Eldorado
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am David and I am a proud owner of a 1995 Cadillac Eldorado. I have spent almost $900 on this vehicle the past week and my issues have not been corrected. I was on a trip from Fort Wayne to Southern Illinois when the coolant temp gauge started reading temps of 240 then up to 255 before it started showing ENGINE COOLANT HOT-IDLE ENGINE. I took it to a shop where they told me that my water pump was shot and the radiator fans are not turning. Got both fixed and was told then that the coolant temp gauge was reading 30-50 degrees hotter than the actual temp. I cannot drive more than 20 minutes without it kicking into limp home mode with ENGINE OVERHEATED-STOP ENGINE displaying. The engine is not really overheating. I am trying to figure out what the issue really is. Looking for estimates on how much it will cost to fix the temp gauge. Is it the coolant temp sensor that is malfunctioning? I love my caddy as it was my late Father's and I would like to keep it running as long as possible. I feel like I may have been mislead by auto shops. Is there a fix for this that cost under $300 or should I look for a new vehicle?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
:welcome:

Coolant temp sensor, very inexpensive, but of a pain to replace. It's on the rear of the right (rear)cylinder head.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
Hello, I am David and I am a proud owner of a 1995 Cadillac Eldorado. I have spent almost $900 on this vehicle the past week and my issues have not been corrected. I was on a trip from Fort Wayne to Southern Illinois when the coolant temp gauge started reading temps of 240 then up to 255 before it started showing ENGINE COOLANT HOT-IDLE ENGINE. I took it to a shop where they told me that my water pump was shot and the radiator fans are not turning. Got both fixed and was told then that the coolant temp gauge was reading 30-50 degrees hotter than the actual temp. I cannot drive more than 20 minutes without it kicking into limp home mode with ENGINE OVERHEATED-STOP ENGINE displaying. The engine is not really overheating. I am trying to figure out what the issue really is. Looking for estimates on how much it will cost to fix the temp gauge. Is it the coolant temp sensor that is malfunctioning? I love my caddy as it was my late Father's and I would like to keep it running as long as possible. I feel like I may have been mislead by auto shops. Is there a fix for this that cost under $300 or should I look for a new vehicle?
==============================
The engine is not really overheating.
I am trying to figure out what the issue really is.

IF you are 100% POSITIVE the engine is NOT running hot -
the ONLY logical explanation would be
a defective ECT - Engine Coolant Temperature sensor -

it is certainly a cheap part -
I found the DELPHI TS10075 for $9 - including free shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DELPHI-COOLANT-TEMPERATURE-SENSOR-TS10075-FOR-ACURA-ASUNA-BUICK-1981-2007-/171286841303?hash=item27e17dc7d7&vxp=mtr

DELPHI is a GM parts supplier -
so it is a quality part -

the ACDELCO 213-928 is the same part - $12.99 -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-GM-GMC-ENGINE-COOLANT-TEMP-SENSOR-DELPHI-15329386-AC-DELCO-213-928-truck-/251858694571?hash=item3aa3f2b1ab&vxp=mtr

------------

CAUTION -
if you DO decide to change the ECT sensor -
DO NOT get a no-name - aftermarket - auto parts store brand sensor -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,458 Posts
Your toolbox should include an inexpensive IR thermometer for checks/verifications like this thread needs. It can be used to check the spot temperatures of any engine part from a foot away.

Lowe's, Home Depot, Radio Shack, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, car parts stores.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
Welcome :wave:

Be sure to check the purge line for coolant flow. Just pull the hose off of the surge tank (cold engine so as not to burn yourself). Stick it in the open filler neck and start the engine. You should have coolant flow. If not, pull the other end and clean out the hollow bolt it is attached to.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts