Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,today my right side blinker started blinking erratically,slow then too fast.I took it to an ADVANCE AUTO PARTS location and explained the problem.Parts manager came out to look at it and said "if just one side is blinking erratically it usually means a bulb is out,if both sides blink erratically it`s usually the blinker switch.
Long story short---all blinker bulbs work fine.Manager suggested taking it to a service center that can do a more detailed inspection.
I`d appreciate any suggestions as to what the solution may be.

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I find that strange blinker behavior is usually caused by a poor ground. I'm not positive where it is on your car but there is usually a ground wire in the rear harness somewhere. some other connection may be corroded as well and possibly even in the bulb socket. I have seen flashers play tricks on me once in a while and usually end up swapping in a known good one while troubleshooting.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
One of the rear bulbs is out or the socket ground (inside the socket) is bad. If all of your bulbs were good, then it wasn't blinking fast at the time.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it to our local MEINEKE service center today.The problem was a bad TURN SIGNAL SWITCH and TURN SIGNAL RELAY.
The turn signal switch is buried deep within the steering column----mechanic had to remove the steering wheel and airbag and panels under the dash to access it------a 2 hour job and i watched every minute of it,what a hassle.The turn signals work great now.It cost $185.00----mostly labor.
I`ve also got 1 rear brake light with a bad ground---mechanic and i located it today----a bad terminal which will be replaced on Monday.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Wait a minute pompste, if you have a bad brake light ground, you have a bad T/S ground! Your T/S is still flashing fast if you have a bad ground at one of the bulbs. This guy at Meineke sold you a T/S switch, a T/S flasher module and now he's going to replace the part you actually needed to begin with? I've only fixed five or six............hundred of these, and I think you've been taken for a ride.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait a minute pompste, if you have a bad brake light ground, you have a bad T/S ground! Your T/S is still flashing fast if you have a bad ground at one of the bulbs. This guy at Meineke sold you a T/S switch, a T/S flasher module and now he's going to replace the part you actually needed to begin with? I've only fixed five or six............hundred of these, and I think you've been taken for a ride.
I appreciate the info.The 2 parts they installed did fix the blinker problem.I checked the blinkers myself for 20 minutes before paying for the job.The mechanic and i also found a rear brake light wire with some strands exposed---i want that wire replaced also.I should have mentioned there is no charge for any work done when i bring the car in Monday.
I`m always skeptical when dealing with mechanics.I`ve been doing business with these Meineke people for several years and i know them personally,i somewhat trust them.Sometimes i bring in minor work and they do it for free.They always let me physically watch them working on my Caddy----many places won`t let you watch the mechanics working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts