Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Deville
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off thanks for all you folks assistance regarding my last post. I learned a lot of good info.

Next up is a key question.

I got only one set of keys with this car and wish to buy a couple of more sets for it. The ign key has the passkey pellet mounted to it. I measured the resistance of the pellet with a dvm and got 3.70K Ohms(3700 Ohms) a look at a chart for the resistance values to key number yield two possibilities

Possibility #1 is key #9 with a resistance of 3010 ohms

Possibility #2 is Key #10 with a resistance of 3740 ohms

Which key is the correct one? Do i round up and get Key #10?

Thanks

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Go with #10. It's a lot closer to your reading then the first one.

·
Registered
1995 Deville
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello again,

Thanks much for the replies and the indepth chart. My quest for the keys took me to 3 different lock smiths and hardware stores with no joy at all. None had it in stock. As the last locksmith was around the corner from the local Chevy/Buick/GMC dealer I popped in to see how much they charged for the keys. I had once worked there as a oil change person/PDI tech about 15 years ago while finishing up college. it seems I still get my discount there so I bought 3 ign keys for $15 each and 3 door/trunk keys for $2 each. which is actually cheaper then all the other places. The only downside is that I will have to wait to pick them up as they had to order them from the local warehouse(as Sat is not a business day, They cannot order them till Monday Morning so I will not see them till Tuesday. But that is not a real issue since i have to be over there in that area on Wed, I will pick them up then.

The moral of this story is check the dealer first. Their prices might be the best sometimes

Thanks again for your help in this matter

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,272 Posts
Hello again,

Thanks much for the replies and the indepth chart. My quest for the keys took me to 3 different lock smiths and hardware stores with no joy at all. None had it in stock. As the last locksmith was around the corner from the local Chevy/Buick/GMC dealer I popped in to see how much they charged for the keys. I had once worked there as a oil change person/PDI tech about 15 years ago while finishing up college. it seems I still get my discount there so I bought 3 ign keys for $15 each and 3 door/trunk keys for $2 each. which is actually cheaper then all the other places. The only downside is that I will have to wait to pick them up as they had to order them from the local warehouse(as Sat is not a business day, They cannot order them till Monday Morning so I will not see them till Tuesday. But that is not a real issue since i have to be over there in that area on Wed, I will pick them up then.

The moral of this story is check the dealer first. Their prices might be the best sometimes

Thanks again for your help in this matter
=========================
The moral of this story is check the dealer first.
Their prices might be the best sometimes

ya - well - not so much -

the NEW moral of the story is check cadillacforums.com first -
WE know where the best prices are -

-------------------------

I bought 3 ign keys for $15 each
OUCH -
$7.27 each - with free shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-Single-Sided-VATS-Ignition-Key-10-UNCUT-V-A-T-S-B62-P10-MADE-IN-USA-/221447633627?hash=item338f4ebadb&vxp=mtr

or $9.27 - with free shipping - for a set of ignition and trunk -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-Single-Sided-VATS-Ignition-Key-10-Doors-Trunk-OEM-Key-MADE-IN-USA-/331323396319?hash=item4d2469d0df&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
1995 Deville
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
=========================
The moral of this story is check the dealer first.
Their prices might be the best sometimes

ya - well - not so much -

the NEW moral of the story is check cadillacforums.com first -
WE know where the best prices are -

-------------------------

I bought 3 ign keys for $15 each
OUCH -
$7.27 each - with free shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-Single-Sided-VATS-Ignition-Key-10-UNCUT-V-A-T-S-B62-P10-MADE-IN-USA-/221447633627?hash=item338f4ebadb&vxp=mtr

or $9.27 - with free shipping - for a set of ignition and trunk -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-Single-Sided-VATS-Ignition-Key-10-Doors-Trunk-OEM-Key-MADE-IN-USA-/331323396319?hash=item4d2469d0df&vxp=mtr
I don't actually mind spending a few bucks more to buy from a local business. They were pretty good to me when I worked there and were flexible about my schedule since I also was taking classes in college. Plus they are active in the community with charitable endeavors and also sponsor the local Corvette and Camaro clubs and assist the local scouting troops, so I am not crying over a few extra dollars spent(now if it was $30 per key that would be different) and I stopped buying keys from ebay after being burned multiple times. The last time the key in question was only $9 cheaper then the local Ford dealer was selling it for. I got sent the wrong key twice and by the time all was resolved it was almost a month later. All that time wasted to save $9. It is not worth buying keys from the bay unless they are unobtainable or cost so much more at a local brick and mortar store

1 - 7 of 7 Posts