Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed i have front roof paint bubbling up along the entire top of the windshield.It`s starting under the black weatherstripping that seals water out water from top of windshield and it now is about 1/2" past the weatherstripping and on the roof.I know it`s rust developing but it has`nt broken thru the paint yet.
I`d appreciate any suggestions on how to remedy this situation before it gets any worse.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,115 Posts
Only one way. Sand it down till all the rust is gone and repaint it.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it to a couple of body shops today for some estimates.Both are in the $300-$400 range.Both say the windshield has to come out and the rusted area where the top of the windshield rests on has to be grinded/sanded down to bare metal,then primer paint, finish paint and clearcoat.
What i find absurd is 1 shop wants to repaint the ENTIRE roof for just a 1/2" of bubbled up paint.The other shop says since i have a sunroof they could just repaint to just halfway on the sides of the sunroof so if there is a line where the old and new paints meet,it won`t be that noticeable.
What i really don`t like is this is one messy job.They would of course block off the open area where the windshield was to keep the dust/grit out of the interior,but with all the sanding, grinding and grit being created---i just know they would scratch my showroom quality finish.I`ve got a lot ot stainless steel accents on my ride and they would more than likely scratch those up to.
Keeping up my mint condition 1995 Sedan Deville to my high standards is a bit much to deal with at times.Sometimes i wish i had my old winterbeater Chevy to drive---i never had to worry about this ride at all---i kept the engine maintained properly but i never had to be as concerned with it the way i baby my Caddy.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,494 Posts
If the body shop is decent and reliable you'll get your car back, repaired, and none the worse for wear. Talk to the manager and paint man. It's your car and your money - you're owed peace of mind.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,115 Posts
What i find absurd is 1 shop wants to repaint the ENTIRE roof for just a 1/2" of bubbled up paint.The other shop says since i have a sunroof they could just repaint to just halfway on the sides of the sunroof so if there is a line where the old and new paints meet,it won`t be that noticeable.
Not so absurd at all. It all depends on the color. A flat white, black, red can usually be blended and you will never see where the old meets the new if the paint man is good. A metallic like silver and even worse, tri-coats like white diamond and crimson pearl need the entire panel painted and the adjacent panels blended (cleared).

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My color is "shale"--like light silver.I guess i just don`t see the logic in painting the whole roof for 1/2" of bubbled up paint---yet.
I know they would have to add the paint thick since when my model '95 Deville was in production Cadillac was still painting them several "millimeters" thicker than present day Caddy`s production paint jobs.I mentioned this to the body shop manager and he agreed.He said todays Caddy`s production paint jobs are a few "mils" or more thinner than Caddy`s from the past.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the body shop is decent and reliable you'll get your car back, repaired, and none the worse for wear. Talk to the manager and paint man. It's your car and your money - you're owed peace of mind.

Thanks for the great advice!If i do decide to get the repair done,i`ll for sure speak to the manager and paint man before any work is done to let them know what i expect from them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts