Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995 DeVille
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I found many good threads on the ELC, but typically on different models and years, and none quite hit what I was hoping to find --
Is there a thread with the diagnostic steps to test things on the 1995 DeVille ELC?

For example, on my Lincoln, there was a write up I found that showed where the fuses were to check, and what points could be jumped (even when the car is off) to see if the compressor would run. I'm looking for that.

Right now, it doesn't sound like the compressor is running at all. Fuses under the hood and under the dash are all good. One thread mentioned a fuse "under the back seat"... I'm not sure what he meant, my back seats don't come up - or I'm not finding a latch to remove it?

Any tips on how I can trouble shoot the system would be appreciated. The car infopanel does say something akin to "check ride control" or "service ride control".

Thank you guys!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,273 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I found many good threads on the ELC, but typically on different models and years, and none quite hit what I was hoping to find --
Is there a thread with the diagnostic steps to test things on the 1995 DeVille ELC?

For example, on my Lincoln, there was a write up I found that showed where the fuses were to check, and what points could be jumped (even when the car is off) to see if the compressor would run. I'm looking for that.

Right now, it doesn't sound like the compressor is running at all. Fuses under the hood and under the dash are all good. One thread mentioned a fuse "under the back seat"... I'm not sure what he meant, my back seats don't come up - or I'm not finding a latch to remove it?

Any tips on how I can trouble shoot the system would be appreciated. The car infopanel does say something akin to "check ride control" or "service ride control".

Thank you guys!
=================================

Right now, it doesn't sound like the compressor is running at all.
Fuses under the hood and under the dash are all good.
One thread mentioned a fuse "under the back seat"...
I'm not sure what he meant,
my back seats don't come up -
or I'm not finding a latch to remove it?

the 2000+ Deville has the fuse box and battery under the back seat -

your ELC fuse is in the trunk-mounted fuse box -

the ELC system and diagnosis are all the same -

a ride-height sensor -
compressor assembly -
air lines -
shocks with air bladders -

with the ignition ON -

pop one end of the ride-height sensor connecting rod off -

depending on where the sensor is mounted -
moving the sensor lever - either up or down -
will simulate a low rear end -
and should activate the compressor -

moving the lever in the opposite direction
should activate the exhaust solenoid -

--------------------------

keep in mind -
if the air bladders are intact - and the compressor is no good -
you could install the Monroe AK29 manual-fill kit - around $10 -
and inflate the shocks just like inflating a tire -

·
Registered
1995 DeVille
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Basscat,

Thank you - I did notice that you had posted quite a bit in those threads at all, I appreciate you lending your expertise.

In searching for where the ride control arm/sensor was located, I did stumble across another forum where someone was troubleshooting his Deville suspension, but he was talking about errors for ride control sensors in the front, too?

My front suspension is your standard stuff, not air ride, so I'm guessing I can ignore what he was talking about?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
Control sensors in front are not related to your car or the ELC system.

You might get under the car and manually activate the sensor/switch and then check for power at the compressor. If power is present, the compressor has failed. If not, then you have to check upstream (switch, fuses, wiring, connectors etc).

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
In addition to Bass advice
First off it should run through a test cycle of a few seconds EVERY key on. Turn key on(don't have to start) and walk to pass rear, you should hear a ELC test cycle after about 20-30 seconds and it should run for just a few seconds. If not time to check fuse(in trunk IIRC) and check for codes.
The car doesn't have air ride(nor do any cadillacs) the info you are refering to is Electronic suspension systems which you do not have.
If you hear the pump run through test cycle yet car is riding too low the level sensor is usually to blame. It is located driver rear wheel well. To test it unhook the rod and move up and down(with car ignition on) and you should hear it inflate and deflate. This is not instant so have to hold for a little bit. No need to check this operation until you figure out if ELC is going through test cycle though.

·
19,273 Posts
Hi Basscat,

Thank you - I did notice that you had posted quite a bit in those threads at all, I appreciate you lending your expertise.

In searching for where the ride control arm/sensor was located, I did stumble across another forum where someone was troubleshooting his Deville suspension, but he was talking about errors for ride control sensors in the front, too?

My front suspension is your standard stuff, not air ride, so I'm guessing I can ignore what he was talking about?

Thank you!
=============================
none of our cars have "air ride" suspension -

ALL our Cadillacs have "coil spring" suspension -
controlled by oil-filled struts and shocks -

we DO have ELC rear shocks - with air bladders -
that are designed to raise the BODY - in the rear -
to compensate for additional weight in the back seat/trunk -
to maintain proper ride height -

the front sensors are for a different type of electronic suspension -
that you do not have -
so - YES - you can ignore it -

·
Registered
1995 DeVille
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the post everyone,

So I spent some time under the rear of the car (because it does sit down pretty low). And found the issue(s). The air line going to the passenger side is broken off from the air shock. The housing around the shock is also rusted to the point where it's split through in places. The driver side is not much better. But hey, the air compressor works!

I understand that the front also had "active suspension" of some kind, adjusts how firm the shocks are? But I never notice a difference, that system might not be working either.

In light of it looking like everything suspension wise in the rear needs to be replaced, and air lines need to be replaced as well, I've been looking at the kits that will convert it to a more traditional gas-shock coil-over spring setup.

The trick is it says for cars with the Speed Sensitive Suspension and 4.9 only. Well, definitely have the 4.9... but if it's calling out the SSS, I'm guessing there are models of the 95 Deville that didn't have it.

Another thread I did find said to pull the carpet from the trunk, behind the passenger seat, and there should be a module there. Well, I climbed into my trunk, and awkwardly worked to find a purchase to tug at the carpet at the cabin-sharing wall of the trunk with no luck. Is this a brute force thing, or am I supposed to start someplace else? Is there another well to tell if I had SSS?

Thank you!

·
19,273 Posts
Thanks for the post everyone,

So I spent some time under the rear of the car (because it does sit down pretty low). And found the issue(s). The air line going to the passenger side is broken off from the air shock. The housing around the shock is also rusted to the point where it's split through in places. The driver side is not much better. But hey, the air compressor works!

I understand that the front also had "active suspension" of some kind, adjusts how firm the shocks are? But I never notice a difference, that system might not be working either.

In light of it looking like everything suspension wise in the rear needs to be replaced, and air lines need to be replaced as well, I've been looking at the kits that will convert it to a more traditional gas-shock coil-over spring setup.

The trick is it says for cars with the Speed Sensitive Suspension and 4.9 only. Well, definitely have the 4.9... but if it's calling out the SSS, I'm guessing there are models of the 95 Deville that didn't have it.

Another thread I did find said to pull the carpet from the trunk, behind the passenger seat, and there should be a module there. Well, I climbed into my trunk, and awkwardly worked to find a purchase to tug at the carpet at the cabin-sharing wall of the trunk with no luck. Is this a brute force thing, or am I supposed to start someplace else? Is there another well to tell if I had SSS?

Thank you!
================================
I've been looking at the kits that will convert it to a more traditional gas-shock coil-over spring setup.
that would be a HUGE mistake -

I recommend the Monroe 40046 rear shocks - around $100 each -
and the Monroe AK29 manual inflation kit - around $12 -

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
As far as the carpeting behind the back seat it's a panel that covers the back of the seat and the top of the trunk in the same area. You need to remove some plastic nuts that are inside the trunk under the back window and the whole panel pulls out. Tugging at the carpet will just damage it.

·
Registered
1995 DeVille
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you both, I'll have to look into that manual inflation kit. The picture and amazon description makes it sound more like a repair kit to tie it to the compressor, so not sure where the manual part comes in... which isn't a bad thing, would rather not have to worry about getting it hooked up to an external air compressor or manually tripping/disabling the one on the car or anything.

Basscatt, you said you'd advise against swapping out the ELC components for more traditional parts. Can you elaborate on why?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
One reason mainly to NOT convert... The ride will suffer greatly and I mean no more Cadillac ride welcome to empty 1 ton truck ride.

·
19,273 Posts
One reason mainly to NOT convert... The ride will suffer greatly and I mean no more Cadillac ride welcome to empty 1 ton truck ride.
======================:yeah:

PLUS - the rear WILL sit too high without a load in the trunk -
and WILL sit low with a load in the trunk -

----------

Thank you both, I'll have to look into that manual inflation kit. The picture and amazon description makes it sound more like a repair kit to tie it to the compressor, so not sure where the manual part comes in... which isn't a bad thing, would rather not have to worry about getting it hooked up to an external air compressor or manually tripping/disabling the one on the car or anything.

Basscatt, you said you'd advise against swapping out the ELC components for more traditional parts. Can you elaborate on why?
--------------------------
I'll have to look into that manual inflation kit.
it can be used to repair the original air lines -
but it's designed as a manual fill kit -

it has the factory style push-on connectors for the shocks -
and nuts - "O" rings - and a "T" connector as the fill valve -

you inflate and deflate the shocks just like you would a tire -

1 - 12 of 12 Posts