Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Deville 4.9L 200,000m
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Puddle under the water pump, pooling on top of it.

Do they leak?

How much labor? I'm pretty good with a wrench but my time is valuable and it looks pretty tight around that pump.

Is this a really difficult job?

I'm about to put it in the shop for struts and am wondering if I should have themdo this too or do it myself.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Common problem if it's more then a couple years old. It's not too hard to do yourself. Maybe a couple hours at the most to do it.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
You need those stupid torx sockets for a couple of the bolts. The rest is all normal tools.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
As mentioned, an easy DIY job. I recommend removing the overflow bottle and possibly the battery for extra clearance.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just ordered the pump for AZ, it was surprizingly inexpensive. Thanks for the tips, I'll let y'all know how it goes.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Freakzilla said:
Now the Caddy needs a new water pump. :cry:
Removed/disconnected:

Battery.
Coolant.
Recovery tank.
Water pump pulley.
Accessory drive belt.
Water pump. The hex screws and nuts didn't seem tight at all. It didn't take any force to break them loose.
Water pump gasket. It looked like some kind of sealant had been applied to the old pump or gasket.

Installed:

New gasket.
New Water Pump.
Coolant.

Took me an afternoon; all that bending over killed my back.

I kind of cheated though. I waited to do this until I could replace my leaky A/C lines, too, which are very in the way. I did not accomplish that mission, though. I only had a jack with me and will need to put it up on jack stands to get underneath to the bolt that attaches the a/c lines to the compressor. Still, since the a/c system was already empty it wasn't a big deal to disconnect the accumulator line.

But that's another story...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts