Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1995 Deville 4.9
1995 Deville 4.9
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cannot locate Coolant Reservoir Surge Line Hollow Bolt. Google and YouTube helped me find it on the models before and after my '95, but for the life of me I cannot identify this line.

I've read they have a bad habit of becoming clogged; and after replacing the thermostat would like to check this before thinking about the water pump or head gasket. I tested the old one in boiling water and it opened and closed fine.

Removed battery and followed the only hose on my coolant reservoir to the radiator and am 99% sure this is not the drain hose I'm looking for, lol.

Check engine light was coming on intermittently, only thing I noticed when it happened was the engine bay was hotter than I expected and the radiator was relatively cool to the touch. I have the digital dash, so no temperature needle. This coupled with the lack of Dash warnings or OBD codes has me scrambling to find the issue before it becomes a problem.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,711 Posts
Re: 1995 Coolant Surge Line Hollow Bolt Location

Which car, make, model, engine. Please update your profile so that your username banner looks like those of other members. Thanks.

The Northstar DOHC engine and cooling system is VERY different from the 4.9 engine.

The purge line is a system that is connected to the high point in the main cooling system - the line is a constant slow bleed back to the surge tank airspace, not a "drain line". It passes coolant and bubbles into the airspace in the surge tank in order to maintain "solid" coolant to the water pump.

IF your ? 1995 Deville ? has a Northstar 4.6 DOHC engine then here's the hollow bolt location.

Attachments

·
1995 Deville 4.9
1995 Deville 4.9
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My apologies and thank you.

1995 Cadillac Deville with the 4.9

I didn't know there was such a difference. I was under the impression that the Concours had the 4.6 and both were Northstar. I only got the car a week ago.

Does the 4.9 even have such a part/configuration?

I'm not anything close to a mechanic and have zero experience wrenching on cars; but just for the record: I know it's not a "drain hose". I made an attempt at a Star Wars reference that clearly didn't strike. Lol

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,430 Posts
No, the 4.9 does not need a purge line because the "recovery tank" is not pressurized like the Northstar "surge tank". Any air in the system is purged when the radiator overflows due to expansion into the coolant reservoir after shut down. Air rises to the top of the tank and coolant is drawn back into the radiator via the two way valve in the radiator cap after cool down, to refill what was lost .

·
Registered
2016 XTS luxury, 1995 Sedan Deville Base 4.9 l
95 Posts
Tell us about your Deville. What condition is it in, mileage, price paid, maybe post a picture or two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts