Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering how some of you have removed the EGR? Trying to clean mine, but none of my ratchets will reach the bolts. Tried removing the throttle body, but a couple hoses I couldnt get off, so I gave up. I'll try again when I get a new throttle body gasket.

So what have some of you done? Visegrips? Trying to sell the car so I'd appreciate some help!

Thanks!
Patrick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Spreng said:
Was wondering how some of you have removed the EGR? Trying to clean mine, but none of my ratchets will reach the bolts. Tried removing the throttle body, but a couple hoses I couldnt get off, so I gave up. I'll try again when I get a new throttle body gasket.

So what have some of you done? Visegrips? Trying to sell the car so I'd appreciate some help!

Thanks!
Patrick
I took an open end wrench and bent it in a vice. Broke the first one (it was cheap!) Work better with a propane torch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem (EGR) with my 1995 4.9L Deville. After a few frustrating days, I was finally able to remove the two bolts. I went to Sears and purchased a swivel socket (13 mm) and a 12" extension rod (1/4 inch). Then I added a 3/8 inch extension (using a coupler to the 1/4" rod). It worked immediately, but takes a bit of torque to loosen it. Within five minutes both bolts were off. Then I pourchased a spray can of carbon cleaner to remove the deposits in the intake manifold (being careful not to allow any deposits to enter the intake manifold). The right tools make a big difference. I did purchase a torque wench at Sears ($20) to retighten the bolts at the specified torque value.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, I just bent the 13m open end wrench. Took a lot longer than yours, though. Also, the manual says not to use any cleaner on the EGR itself, but to tap the valve with a plastic hammer to break the carbon. Also, did you know that the EGR system is used to controll pre-ignition in these engines with the timing used so high (50 degrees sometimes)?

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
Hey,

I had to tackle this one too on my 1991 Deville some time back, the easy (though not cheapest) solution was to go and buy a set of offset (i.e. pre-bent) combo wrenches. Sears by me (St. Louis, MO) had a set of inexpensive metric ones (maybe $25.00 at the time) that were not craftsman, just some no-name stuff, but this saved me a lot of aggravation and also came in handy when I did the starter some time later.

Also, be careful if you're using an aftermarket EGR valve, there are variations that aren't all interchangeable.

Hope this helps!

Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts