Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching the rest of the board on info on the steering on 94 STS cars and can't find what I'm looking for.

I had my engine rebuilt and during that process they said I needed a new power steering pump. I gave the OK and now the car on the freeway has a way worse feeling. 1" of play, way overpowered...

Can someone install a "wrong" ps pump on a Northstar?

Do these cars have variable assist power steering?

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS
68 Posts
I don't know what pump is supposed to be used on these, but the '94 does have variable assist steering. It helps more at lower speeds, and less at highway speeds, and yours may be assisting the same at both speeds.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The gear and linkage really control the "feel" of the steering. The pump just makes fluid available.
Your car probably has what is called "magna-steer". If you don't see any warning indicators then it should be working fine. If they replaced the engine they probably removed the cradle. Your problem might be that they didn't align the front suspension properly after they completed the repairs.

Either way I would give the company that did your repairs the opportunity to make it right for you and address your concerns. Just try to be cool and express your concern and give them some time to check it out to make sure they did everything right.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I'm giving them a chance!! They actually dropped it at a Cadillac dealer because of problems with A/C, ABS, Traction and Ride Control errors after putting the engine back together.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Sounds like they left a ground loose.
There is a large ground that handles most of that stuff that bolts onto the transmission housing. It's probably loose or not connected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts