Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1994 Seville SLS with less than 30K miles. This car has been nothing but problems. Windows not working, broken ashtray, broken cupholders, trunk closing mechanism failure, LED light bar going out twice, power lock not working. I am the original owner and take great care of the vehicle. A little less than a year ago I had the AC compressor and clutch, and all belts and hoses and radiator replaced which cost a fortune along with the window problem fix.

Now, what's interesting is that right after they supposedly replaced the compressor, it went out and they had to replace it again. So we are on compressor #3.

Anyway, while recently driving the car, steam/smoke started coming from under the hood and a hissing noise was heard. This was with the AC on. Turned it off, no more smoke or noise. Today (a couple weeks later), we tried the AC again and HOT air comes out of the vents. Nothing comes out of the floor but really hot air comes out of the vents when it is set to 60* auto. No more smoke but cannot get it to blow cold air. Nothing appears to be leaking.

What do you think the problem is?

Feel free to ask me some questions so I can try to describe it for you a little better. I am fairly mechanically inclined but have no experience with Cadillacs.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
First, welcome!!! Thanks for signing up....

It sounds like the pump is seizing..... I hope when they replaced the compressor they put oil in it!!! If everything is the same as my car, then they put the oil into the freon, and it lubricates as it flows..... Without that oil, then that could explain the multiple compressors...... I would say have someone else besides who you took it to check it out.... Drive with the climate control off, and have them check it out.... Maybe they could add oil and the pump would be OK......

Also, is the smoke smell like rubber, and does it sound more like squealing then hissing (ie a loose belt)...... if so, then it could be its already locked up and the belt is just slipping over the clutch...... Not good!! If thats the case, I would avoid driving the car if at all possible!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couldn't get the smoke to come again and didn't get any more noise. Just really hot air coming out of the vents. Also, when they supposedly replaced the compressor the first time, it was because of hot air coming out of the vents. Same problem as now. The last compressor was put in only 3 months and 560 miles ago.

Additionally, the windshield fogs up real bad with a "greasy film" whenever the air, heat, or defroster is on. Also, I can smell hot coolant when standing near the hood of the car.

Looked in the engine compartament and that crossmember is coated with some sort of greasy substance on both sides but dusty in the middle like something was spraying under the hood.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The white "smoke" and hissing noise were caused by a refrigerant system rupture. The "greasy" substance you refered to is the refrigerant oil that blasted out with the refrigerant.
Multiple compressor replacements are symptomatic of improper system flushing prior to installation of the new compressor and/or using poor grade aftermarket compressors.
The hot air coming from the vents is what you get without an operable air conditioner but the smell of coolant from the vents and a "greast film" on the windshield would suggest that you may also have a leaking heater core, or at least a loose connection at the hose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Katshot said:
The white "smoke" and hissing noise were caused by a refrigerant system rupture. The "greasy" substance you refered to is the refrigerant oil that blasted out with the refrigerant.
Multiple compressor replacements are symptomatic of improper system flushing prior to installation of the new compressor and/or using poor grade aftermarket compressors.
The hot air coming from the vents is what you get without an operable air conditioner but the smell of coolant from the vents and a "greast film" on the windshield would suggest that you may also have a leaking heater core, or at least a loose connection at the hose.
The car is in the dealer so if someone could give a response quick that would be very helpful.

Okay here's the deal. We took it in to the dealership and here's what they are telling us. The Warm air is because it needs new AC lines. The current ones are ruptured. They want $175 for parts and $225 for labor.

The greasy film on the window is from a broken heater core that is leaking. They want $685 in parts and $260 in labor.

The other problem of the power door lock not funtioning is that it needs a new actuator which is $80 in parts and $115 in labor.

Here's a litte vehicle history. The last compressor was put in in May (560 mi ago) and a radiator, hoses, and belts were put in in September (2900 mi ago).

I have a couple questions for you. Could anything the dealer worked on in the past have failed now due to improper procedure in the work that was done? Also, for the leaking heater core, how would I know if it's just a loose connection and they want to charge me $900+ and supposedly put a new one in when they might just fix the hose connection or whatever? Do you think it is really the A/C lines making the air not cold or is it the compressor again? What do these prices sound like to you? Should I just take it to a normal "all service" shop because it seems like every three months after it comes back from the dealer something else goes wrong? Also, what do these prices seem like to you and what might I expect elsewhere?

I really have very limited knowledge of Cadillacs and your help would be greatly appreciated. I feel this dealer may be taking me for a ride and I need to find out what it seems like to you.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Hopefully the compressor didnt seize because of a lack of oil....... Ill take their word on the lines, and if they want to put a new comrpessor in, tell them to do it for not inspecting the lines the last time around

The heater core has probably been leaking for a while, and you have just noticed it...... Its also possible that if a line bursted in the heater core area, it could have frozen the core and ruptured it... Unlikely, but it could happen...... I dont know about internal connections, but that could be possible..... Tell them to inspect it, and replace hoses if necessary before getting a new core.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
elwesso