Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time using a forum. Hope I get it right. I have a problem with my fleetwood. My primary fan stopped working. The second fan comes on when I turn on my AC. Anyone experience this? Was it an easy fix?

·
Registered
96 FWB
752 Posts
So Mr. -freak,

"First time using a forum. Hope I get it right."

No, not even close. Your first-ever post is supposed to be in the 'General Discussions Introductions' Section, where you introduce yourself. And rules there state many things you're supposed to do to make your participation more enjoyable and productive for everyone's benefit, and with the notable instruction NOT to ask questions as part of your introduction but to find the correct section of the forum applicable to your model (and this section is NOT even close) and preferably search through the mountain of archived info first before starting a new thread on an issue likely covered dozens if not hundreds of times previously. Which is certainly the case with the operations and failures of the cooling fan. You should send a 'Conversation' to 'Admin' asking that this be moved to the 'Past Models RWD Fleetwood' section, where there's much more likely chance of visibility, and hopefully strum up enough interest for replies.

If you have little experience with the Search function on here, then you need to practice. As mentioned, the original design issues, maintenance requirements and repairs for the cooling fans on these 25-year old cars is, and has been, discussed repeatedly. With the near-perfect absence of any usable background or information on what you've already tested or tried or researched on your own first, it leaves the list of potential causes to several dozen or more.

First, read through this entire recent thread (maybe twice) to pick up intel on the normal function of the two fans, along with several possible causes of problems.

For your, "My primary fan stopped working." you can unplug the ECT on the waterpump to confirm whether something's actually broken. Check relays, wiring, connections, jumper the fan, etc... Then, come back with at least a little background and what you've checked on your own in order to attract replies with recommendations.

Good luck, and welcome!

Reactions: LV_Cady

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
692 Posts
Probably at least 75 % of what is perceived as fan issues are really not issues at all.....normal operation. The primary fan comes on when the temperature reaches 228*, and goes off when it cools to 208*. The secondary fan comes on at 238*. It shuts off at 2??* So if the car is operating at less than 208* and no air conditioning, no fans will be working. If you are using the AC, the primary fan will come on. It will not come on if the AC needs to be charged.

If you start up your car when cold, no fans will be on. Turn the AC on, and only the primary fan will come on. Like FTSS said, pull the plug on the water pump, and both fans should come on. If they both come on, then they are both working as designed. If they both do not come on, then there is an issue. Be sure when you pull the plugs the car is off.

I have 2 FW's and a Caprice Classic Wagon, all run this way.

Tom

Edited and corrected

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thre's 3 different fan configurations.
With duel electric fans the primary is the pasenger side.

Are you sure it's not the primary coming on with the A/C as normal?
The secondary fan on the drivers side also comes on with the A/C with the high side preasure reaches a certain PSI.
Wich would be more comon on the hotter days.
But it also depends several factors with your A/C system like the freon charge level (normal, high, or low).

·
Registered
692 Posts
LV I think you got me this time. The passenger side comes on when AC is turned on. I knew it was the passenger side, but was calling it secondary when it was the primary.

Edited and corrected the previous post.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hi FTSS

No problem with the change, both answers are correct, your goes more into detail.

Guys who don't see the fans running, immediately think there is a problem with the fans, but as you know, that's how they run. Not designed to run all the time; that's the beauty of them.

Hope the original poster comes back for the replies.

Enjoy the day.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts