Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car just has to give me fits the interior lights stay on constantly and i don't know why the light switch isn't bad i have taken out the
fuse and of course that shut them off but anyone know why they won't go out.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I have a few tricks in the store hopefully works for you too
There is a twilight sentinel switch , slide it all the way to the left to 0
There is a knob that controls lamps just above the twilight sentinel switch .Make sure it is not stuck open , turn it all the way to the left you should be hearing a click or push and pull it and see if the lights go out
There are 4 light buttons for each doors just onto the headliners ,press them to make sure they aren't stuck open

·
Registered
551 Posts
Will they go out at all (other than the fuse, of course)? Have you ever turned them on with the headlight switch? I never really do. If you don't then you can probably eliminate that from the possibilites as it won't (shouldn't) just go bad with out touching it. If you do, then I agree with the previous post. Exercise the switch back and forth.
Also, is there a circuit that turns the lights on when you shut the car off/take the key out? If it is when you take the key out it may be in that circuit. I don't know if that is on a timer/not. Would have to look at the diagram to see how that works.
If all else fails then take the door switches out/apart to see if they are stuck.
Good Luck,
Jeff

·
Registered
890 Posts
if you have the factory alarm go to the trunk lock mechanism, you will see a cable looking device that's attached to the lock itself, it has a white plastic plug , it senses attempted break-ins through the trunk lock, simply unplug that white plastic device and you should be good otherwise most likely a bad micro switch behind a door handle, but im betting on trunk tamper switch, they are known to let go for no reason, they are spring loaded and when sprung make a contact to turn on inside lights and activate alarm, Ive found this to be the lights on issue on a bunch of our fwb's...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well what ever i did it fixed the problem they work perfect now all i did was work that switch back and forth on the dash thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Great to see , nothing is like such an easy fix and leaving a feedback ;) :highfive:

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you have the factory alarm go to the trunk lock mechanism, you will see a cable looking device that's attached to the lock itself, it has a white plastic plug , it senses attempted break-ins through the trunk lock, simply unplug that white plastic device and you should be good otherwise most likely a bad micro switch behind a door handle, but im betting on trunk tamper switch, they are known to let go for no reason, they are spring loaded and when sprung make a contact to turn on inside lights and activate alarm, Ive found this to be the lights on issue on a bunch of our fwb's...
I know I am raising the dead here lol - but I did a search on the forum and found this. IT WORKED - THANK YOU!! I unplugged it and sure enough, my lights go out now. Can this just stay unplugged? I notice that I do not have a door chime and the horn does not honk when I lock the car. Do you all think there are other things I am missing as well?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I didn't see anyone mention it, but the headliner/dome lights can be the culprit; not necessarily that they are just left on, but the switches themselves are not the best quality (read: plastic), and can break easily when pushed too hard. And now, with the newest of these cars being 23 years old, things get brittle.

When they break, they can be left in the "on" position, and no matter how many times you try to push the light to turn it off, it won't. Have to find a used grab handle assembly to fix, there's not enough there to attempt repair. Or take the bulb out temporarily.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Having the same problem. Intermitant alarm turning on. So we manual lock to avoid activating the alarm.
Interior lights were flickering, but on all the time. Had to pull the fuse.
Haven't had the time or the car available to look at it.
I'll check the trunk switch first. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hey LV-Cady I had a problem like yours a while back on my 95.. It turned out to be the trunk light. Just try unplugging the unit in the trunk . Not just unplugging the bulb , but the unit the bulb goes into. My alarm was going off at all hours of the night with no one anywhere around..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks. I'll have to check the trunk.
Was putting off partly because I was thinking it was door switches behind the door panels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts