Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1994 DeVille Sedan 4.9L
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

keeping this post short because I risk lifelong carpal tunnel if I repeat my last post.

as the title says, I have a 1994 DeVille with the 4.9 and the compressor was non functional when I purchased this car last year and the previous owner had simply bought a Serpentine belt that is obviously smaller than the true OEM one since it bypasses the AC Compressor all together.
I am wanting to buy a back-up belt to keep in the trunk for emergencies and didn’t know if anyone else knew the size to ask for at my local retailer. Ideally, if my budget allows after some saving, I would like to have the AC replaced and functioning. Summer weather can be challenging with the heat. Also, I would prefer to do the work myself as I enjoy the satisfaction had with repairing ones own items and saving all that money.

·
2004 Deville base
'05 SRX N*/AWD, Vetts/Birds/Trucks
428 Posts
Look for the label/part# on the current belt, may need to 'bump' the starter.
or
You can take the belt to the store
or
Get 6-8' or so of string, some tape, and lay/wind it around 'on top' of the belt, use the tape to help hold it where needed.
This will give you an approximate length, a good parts store will know what to do from there, it will need to be a bit shorter. They will cross-ref it, find a closest match, and you can save the 'actual vehicle application' for that belt.

Install the 'new' belt, keep the old one as backup. Finding it is too short/long later, will be time wasted. But fun,,, maybe?

Belts are a width(or rib count) x length thing, inside measured. Serpentines can be outside measured.
Serpentine 'flat' belts are not as critical as 'deep vee' belts.

Good luck at some of the new parts houses, lotta braindeads gots a job.

Specs:

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
716 Posts
When I bypassed mine I either got the belt info here or the parts store listed one for bypassing the AC compressor.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,626 Posts
That belt length is somewhere in the archives. I remember it being discussed a long time ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts