Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know anything can happen but there's a local sale for a 1994 Deville and it states the headgasket is going - theres only 80k on the clock. Is the 4.9 ltr known for bad headgaskets?

I've read several archived posts of people having to do them on high miled devilles but I couldn't find anything that said its a common problem on these cars. Any info would be appreciated... I'm wondering if it is misdiagnosed.

Great site btw!

·
Registered
Cadillac
54 Posts
My '97 needs hers done at 80K miles. When I spoke with shops in the area they indicated that it is, indeed, a known issue with the Northstars. I'm not sure if that years' 4.9 is a N* as I really don't know much about any of them older than '97s.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,969 Posts
'94 Deville has a 4.9 and is not known for head gasket problems. It is very reliable unless it has been neglected. A misdiagnosis is a distinct possibility, though I would want more info as to how it was diagnosed.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
I know anything can happen but there's a local sale for a 1994 Deville and it states the headgasket is going - theres only 80k on the clock. Is the 4.9 ltr known for bad headgaskets?

I've read several archived posts of people having to do them on high miled devilles but I couldn't find anything that said its a common problem on these cars. Any info would be appreciated... I'm wondering if it is misdiagnosed.

Great site btw!
The 4.9 is not known for h.g. issues, but like all aluminum block engines, it does happen. What puzzles me about your question is that the seller states the h.g. is "going." What exactly does that mean? H.G.s are not a 'going' issue like say a battery or fuel pump. They are here or they are gone.
That being said, Ranger is right. The 4.9 is a workhorse unless neglected, and if the h.g.s are having issues at 80k, what else have they not done?

·
Registered
Cadillac
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dammit. I went there to look at the car after I first posted and the car wasn't there nor the owner. It's a single mom and someone told her the headgasket was going... so that could have been anyone.

Damn car was being sold for 500 bucks and she indicated the interior was gorgeous and the body was in really good shape. It was dark green with a an ivory looking interior...based on the crappy pics I seen.

Oh well, maybe next time. Thanks for the replies.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,969 Posts
I have a feeling some one "stole" that car for $500.

·
Registered
None yet
431 Posts
its funny im in the process of buying a deville for 500 bucks needs a new power steering pump has good interior and good paint took it for a drive that 4.9 is a def a workhorse with real good pick up tough as hell with no power steering and there might be a radiator issue but its simple enough.....

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts