Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a low growling noise coming from the left front of my Deville, so I'm thinking the wheel bearing is going at 125k miles. Is it a replaceable bearing, or is it the whole hub assembly that needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Whole hub assy.

Easy to check bearings most of the time. In turns, does the noise get worse and better, depending on the direction? Bearings do most always. And over bumps will get noisier and quieter as the load changes on them.

If it is like the 91-93 cars, very easy. But you need GOOD tools, those bolts on are on tight. Takes maybe 1 hr. Remove axle nut, remove tire, rotor/caliper, and remove 3 bearing to spindle bolts. Pull out equally. Leaving axle in place. At least, on a 91 it is....

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can hear a low noise when going straight at low speeds, and yes it does get a bit worse turning left. I do notice more suspension noise over bumps. And that's when I first started taking notice of it because my struts are new, and shouldn't be making noise!
I have good tools, so that shouldn't be a problem. I've just never changed one on a FWD car! RWD ones are easy, and cheap!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the '94 Service Manual it shows a special tool to pull the axle out from the wheel hub. Is this necessary, or is there another way to get the hub off? Is it on there that tight that it needs a puller?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
You can do it without the special tool to press the axle out. Just don't damage the threads on the axle shaft.
make sure to note the orientation of the abs sensor wiring as it has to be in the same position for reassembly.
Also be sure to use the new bolts that come with the hub and torque them to specification.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I can just tap it out of the hub? Is it hard to get the hub back onto the axle?

·
Registered
2004 seville
28 Posts
caddy daddy it is not hard to get the hub back on the shaft, clean any rust or grit with brass wire brush off the shaft and use anti seize lube to help slide it on

·
Registered
90.5 Allante, 02 Deville, 13 ATS 2.0t
119 Posts
Caddy Daddy
How did you end up with your 94 Deville wheel bearing? As of this posting, I am high bidder on a 90.5 Allante in Va. that has a bad wheel bearing!!!!!!
I just sold the house today, and close on the N. Stonington place on Tuesday.
I am going to have fun picking up the Allante in Va. next week while in the middle of moving. Perhaps I will have it shipped.

Blue_Eldo

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blue_eldo: I just paid for the bearings on eBay. So they should be here soon. I figured I'd change both fronts now, since I need new front rotors as well.
A friend of mine has a red '89 Allante, and I did a bunch of work to it to get it back on the road after sitting for 7 years in a garage. He called me back last week because of a leaking oil cooler line, it was just the o-ring. It's a pretty nice car with only 77k miles on it. Does your '90.5 have the 4.9? Good luck on your move, and your new Caddy!

Wooded: That's great to know about the hub. I figured it would be kinda tight since the service manual calls for a special tool to pull it off.

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
caddydaddy said:
Wooded: That's great to know about the hub. I figured it would be kinda tight since the service manual calls for a special tool to pull it off.
I rented a wheel puller from the local rental place to get mine off. I've done other FWD cars where you can tap them out with a hammer (put the nut on the end of the axle so you don't booger up the threads) but my DTS axle wouldn't budge after hitting it as hard as I possibly could with a sledge (don't try this at home, kids!). I had a couple different wheel/gear pullers but they were too small. A nice, big puller is what you may need. Worked for me.

I cleaned up the splines on the axle with WD40 and a wire brush before I put it back together. My hub didn't come with bolts, nor did the FSM say anything about not re-using the old ones. So I re-used the old ones. The FSM for my Buick Century was very explicit about getting new bolts, though. I didn't and as far as I know the wheel hasn't flopped off of it.

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts