Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1994 DeVille Concours
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I have the "Service Ride Control" Message, upon pulling the codes, the only code I have is the S062 RSS code. I am currently tracking down a source for a new/used sensor to replace the one that has gone out. My question is, besides it being in the left/rear area... Where the hell is the sensor located? I am hoping once I source the part, I can replace it myself with little/no trouble. Could someone with the shop manual for this year, maybe pdf the pages involved and post it in this thread??? TIA!!! Or give me some layman instructions on how to replace it? Thanks!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1994 DeVille Concours
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a junkyard with a 95 Deville, does anyone know if the part is interchangable?? This is the left rear position sensor. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1994 Concours DeVille, (2) 1993 Allante
272 Posts
If you pull the wheel you will see the level sensor near the shock absorber. It is attached at its top and bottom by a cupped sockets that snap onto a small receiver ball. I like the Huber Cadillac site for diagrams (https://consumerlink.oeconnection.com) as you can clearly see what the part looks like and where it is located.

Before you replace the sensor, remove it for cleaning and inspection. It just pops off of the ball attachments. Follow the wire attached to the sensor under the car and disconnect the electrical connection. Be careful as the plastic parts are brittle and can break. A shot of spray lube on the ball connections and a shot of electrical clearer/lube on the electrical connector helps. Clean the electrical connectors (sensor side and harness side) with electrical cleaner and a soft brush if necessary. Remove the rubber "bellows" from the sensor and the sliding rod. Clean the rod with electrical cleaner to remove any corrosion and use a pipe cleaner soaked with electrical cleaner to clean the inside of the plunger. Reassemble and put the unit back on the car. You may luck out and have solved your problem. More likely though, the electrical circuits within the sensor have been contaminated or failed. They are encased with a soft compound within the sensor and are not serviceable. There are a few of these units available on eBay now ($50 - $75 I believe). The only difference between the front and rear sensors is the length of the electrical cord. You can cut and splice in your cord if you find a good front one.

The sensor was changed to a different style in 1995, although it will work in your 1994 but you have to drill some mounting holes for it and position it properly. To get an exact match to yours it has to come from a 1993 or 1994 Cadillac with the road sensing suspension. Other than the annoyance of the fault light going on, the only thing you will notice without this sensor is that the shocks are set to the "firm" setting when the code sets. The car will ride harder on bumpy roads. There is a "fix" to prevent the fault light from coming on to remove that annoyance if you decide not to replace the sensor. Be prepared for the other three height sensors to fail sooner or later. 22 years is a long time for these components to last!

·
Registered
1994 Concours DeVille, (2) 1993 Allante
272 Posts
I saw that but was thinking that others might be interested in the information. All of those suspension sensors from the early RSS equipped Caddys are going South.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts