Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Deville
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

Thanks again for all your help relating to my tune up and key questions.

I come to you with a third question.

For those of you that have a non bose/Active Audio 1994 -1995 Deville with an aftermarket radio installed in it. What kit did you use to install it?

The car came with a factory radio with a dead tape deck and I refuse to listen to just regular FM radio on my start and stop traffic infested work commute because all they do is yap(and radio stations wonder why iPods and other music players are so popular)

I have the JVC single DIN am/fm USB/AUX Media radio(no CD Player) which is of shallow depth(I guess you really don't need a lot of space when you take out the CD Player mech) that i took out of my Mitsubishi Mirage before I got rid of it in favor of the 95 Deville.

I wired up the radio with a Metra radio harness so i could simply plug the radio harness into the car harness without cutting up wires. The radio works fine and the power antenna works well.

The problem I am having is the mounting kit. Both kits that i have tried that are said in the packaging to fit my car (Metra 99-4544 and Scosche GM1504) said to use the existing factory radio brackets. But there lies the issue. Unlike the factory bracket on my old Buick which you simply unscrewed the 10mm bolt, then removed that transferred the bracket to the new mount kit using the carriage bolt and nuts supplied, the bracket on the 94-95 Deville radio is a one piece setup where the threaded stud where you screw the bolt down is part of the bracket(welded to it) so there is no way to remove it. plus the bracket is a tab mount setup where you remove the radio by pushing in 2 tabs instead of unscrewing anything

On the Metra 99-4455 kit I decided to modify the mounting brackets by cutting off the part of the bracket that the threaded stud was in and then mount it using the carriage bolt and nuts supplied with the kit as I had a spare set of 94-95 Deville radio brackets The result was while the radio into the radio hole and snapped into place securely and was flush with the fake wood trim, the radio was crooked(the passenger side of the radio was lower then the drivers side) and while the fake wood trim fit and snapped into place, it left a bit of a gap on the top(you could see a bit of the top tab)

Next up was the Scosche GM1504. This is a kit that also fits other GM cars and trucks. I found this kit by accident at Walmart and it said it fits Devilles 88-95 and was cheap enough, so I decided to try it. Like the Metra kit I had to make a bracket modification. Unlike the Metra kit, I did not have to modify the brackets themselves only the kit. I had to cut a notch into the sides of the kit so that the bracket would fit and bolt down. Once I did that and went to install the kit into the car, I discovered that this kit also made the radio crooked but I was able to fix that by making a bigger notch on the right side of the kit and shifting the right bracket lower. This allowed the radio to mount evenly and not be crooked and the fake wood trim bezel snapped into place perfectly

However this kit must have been created with the mindset that all 1988-2005 GM cars had shallow holes in the dash for the radio so that the kit was made to stick out well past the trim bezel(I had one like this in my old 92 S-15 Jimmy) and while it is not so obtrusive as to be bumped into or smacked whenever I reach for something, it does look odd and not ascetically pleasing

I am of the mind set that function trump form and if push comes to shove I will take a ugly mounted radio where I can listen to USB drives over a pretty looking factory radio install that I have to listen to Bob and John trying to be on air comedians instead of playing music.

But I wanted to know if there was a dash kit that allowed me to mount an aftermarket radio flush with the trim bezel? I saw a couple of 94-95 Devilles on ebay with flush aftermarket setups

Can I add a double din radio to a 95 Deville?

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry about the book like posting. I wanted to lay all the facts out

Included is a pic of my current set up

Attachments

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,288 Posts
if the original radio worked well - except for the CD player -
and all you want is the ability to play CD's -
there was a factory-optional 12 disc CD changer - mounted in the trunk -

your car is already pre-wired - and would be plug-n-play -
you can find 12-disc changers on ebay -

just a thought -

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
if the original radio worked well - except for the CD player -
and all you want is the ability to play CD's -
there was a factory-optional 12 disc CD changer - mounted in the trunk -

your car is already pre-wired - and would be plug-n-play -
you can find 12-disc changers on ebay -

just a thought -
And that's where it's lucky to have a 95. I missed that by one year with my 94 (95 was the first year for the wiring).

But to answer Journeyforce's last question yes you can install a double din, that's what the Bose radios were.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts