Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1993 cadillac sts
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and this is my first caddy. I'm getting code 46. I looked it up and it means difference in fuel banks. My car is idling a bit ruff sometimes, it jumps from 500 to 1200 rpm while parked but after I give it some throttle it goes back to normal. I'm no mechanic so I'm wondering if somebody could tell me what it could be and how much it's going to cost me at the caddy dealership. Thx in advance :)

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
Re: 1993 sts code 46

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and this is my first caddy. I'm getting code 46. I looked it up and it means difference in fuel banks. My car is idling a bit ruff sometimes, it jumps from 500 to 1200 rpm while parked but after I give it some throttle it goes back to normal. I'm no mechanic so I'm wondering if somebody could tell me what it could be and how much it's going to cost me at the caddy dealership. Thx in advance :)
-------------------------------
I would check for vacuum leaks

·
Registered
1993 cadillac sts
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you but I have no idea how to look for these lol. Wouldn't a vacuum leak cause me to constantly idle higher then usual? The car usually idles fine and when I punch it it runs strong and does what it should. It only happens when idling in a drive thru or when in park Sometimes.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
Diagnostics and repair going to cost you a king's ransom at a Cadillac dealership. The ONLY two ways to keep and maintain one of these cars is to have deep pockets and use a good local Mom&Pop shop or get onto a steep learning curve and become a gearhead. If you are not already an accomplished mechanic perhaps the best course of action would be to sell the car and find a decent Honda Accord. Seriously.

You need to open the hood and begin to get touchy-feely with the engine. Read the owner's manual - twice (or download one). Study the sticky posts on the main threads page of any forum of interest, especially this forum and Engines, Northstar (if your car has the 4.6L Northstar DOHC engine). Study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar. All timeless info.

I'm dead serious - if you can't do most of your own diagnosis and maintenance on a 22 year old FWD Cadillac you'll soon be one broke puppy.

You're probably looking at a combination of throttlebody cleaning, plugs and wires, air filter, vacuum leak diagosis, fuel delivery diagnosis, and maybe ISC (Idle Speed Control)(the sticky - "Acronyms").

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
There is no code "46".
Do you mean P046 (E046) .................................. Right to Left Bank Fueling Difference?
If so, I'd look for a vacuum leak. If you don't know how, you need to find a reliable mechanic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts