·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
It all comes down to maintenance history and the luck of the draw..... If they havent been maintained well, then they could be a money pit.... However, if theyve been taken care of, they could be trouble free..... A combination of luck and history is key.....

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Luxury Car + American + 10 Years old or more + Over 100k = CAUTION

I strongly doubt the reliability of that car. I am already having minor annoyances with my 01 with 27k and its been taken care of. My brothers 96 Continental has also had good care and it is at 120k now, it is only by the grace of an extended warranty that he even has a good Air Suspension system at this point (the biggest abomination ever to hit american cars, and Ford products in particular). There are several things that need replacing on that car. Granted the Intech V8 purrs as if it was new, but overall there is just way too much other problems for me to ever considering purchasing ANY american luxury car over 50k again. If and only if the car has been supremely maintained and kept in a non volatile weather environment is there a chance you will be relatively problem free with that one. Its doubtful that your average side of the street auto dealers are going to be able to provide solid proof of any maintenance history so you MUST press for all the details.

If its any comparison, I wouldnt even consider a BMW over 80k without an excellent warranty which could cost $$$. Short of Mercedes and Lexus, I wouldnt consider anything over 120, so this is not an anti-domestic stance on my part. Old luxury cars are just not what you want to buy if you are needing decent reliable transportation. If this is a second vehicle or a project or fun vehicle for you or your family then I say go for it, the NS motor alone is awesome in the Sevilles.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Thats interesting, because a mercedes (unless its pre 92ish) I wouldnt consider any more reliable than a decently maintained northstar.... The powertrains may be better (thats even up for debate), but they have electrical problems out the whazoo.........

My conjecture on the used cadillacs is taht if theyve made it past 100k or so, most of the expensive stuff is done.... Not always true but more times than not it is.... Either that or its gonna explode......

Likewise, I will say that if you must have a reliable vehicle, this probably isnt for you. While it will most likely not leave you stranded, it may spend time in the shop (or in your garage if you DIY)..... However, since you still have the escalade, Id pick it up!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Call me Pollyanna, but check the mileage threads on some of these sites and you'll find plenty of folks with upwards of 100k. The things that make you want to dump the car are the (at first seemingly small) things like intermittent heat, flukey electricals, and in the end, hard to find parts. Somewhat like old people, the older the are, the stronger they must be...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the mixed replies. Does anyone notice that hood ornament? I hope he put that on there because I hear the STSs of that year were spectacular and I wouldnt want to be caught in an SLS.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Its possible it iss an SLS and he put an STS grille on it......

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RLLOVETT said:
Check eBay and Edmunds.com cuz $7500 sounds high for an 11 y.o. car...looks nice and clean, though!
Yeah, I thought so too, but I checked Kelly Blue Book and I got $7580. So you guys really think this is an STS?

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
If its an STS it is an odd one. I doubt the authenticity of that car. But why dont you just go take a look at er?

Also, I have no doubt the engine will go past 120k, its the old addage of "it aint the engine thats gonna go, its all the rest of the shyte around it!"

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Thats very true.....

The only thing you can do is take it for a drive.... Pictures would help out too.....

If it is really an SLS, youll be able to tell by the engine code (on firewall), and there will be more wood trim on the inside, along with perforated seats...... Hopefully if he tried to convert he would have done the wood trim, but he couldnt have changed the other 2 (maybe the seats, but unlikely. Looks as if he spent all of his money pimpin it out)....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 92 SLS with a 166,000 miles on it and it has been a very reliable car. If the car has a 4.9 in it, it will be very easy to work on yourself. There are people saying that they have over 250,000 mile and still rolling. Just make sure you do all the required maintenance and don't abuse the car. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got a 96 STS going with 111,000 miles on it. I got the car with 107,000 on it and I have no knowledge as to how it was taken care of before me. I've got a bad blower motor, other than that the car runs excellent. I would drive this car anywhere, I feel it is highly reliable and will be reliable for a long time to come, even with me driving it hard. I plan on running this thing until the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
1995 SLS 200K miles
372 Posts
03EscaladeAWD said:

Beware the Mods unless just bodywork and wheels. I can only give you reference to my Seville which is a 95, with 139K on it. I paid 6200 ..it stalled some and needed a new Fuel pressure regulator. All newer cars depend on an excellent battery, so I bought a 7 year type Diehard. I replaced Brakes and Rotors. I change oil and filter 2-2500 miles. I run on Michelins . Cadillacs like them. As with most FWD cars the handling is best with 4 to six pounds more air in the front than the back. Total so far is 7500 $ and it is the best car I have driven in a long time. I run it hard at least twice a week and it is very strong to about 6500 Rpm. Uses no oil. Drips a few drops a week on driveway.
You might want a good local ASE type independent mechanic to check it out before you buy, Worth the cost.

Hope this helps. :coolgleam

·
Registered
2006 STS V
81 Posts
One reason it may have a hood ornament is that the hood has been replaced with an SLS hood. Maybe you should check it for collision repair and get a carfax on it first.

Price seems a little high. You should be able to get one like that for about $5000 or less. I purchased my 1992 STS for $3000 with 136k miles.

If it has the 4.9l, and has been maintained, you should be able to get over 200k on it. I will reserve comment on it if it has a Northstar as I only have owned one Northstar (94 model) and had many troubles.

Regards,

·
Registered
1993 STS, 1997 STS, 2002 SLS, 2007 CTS 3.6
378 Posts
03EscaladeAWD said:

Joining this one late but here are my .02 on it. I think the price is extremly high for the car. You can get Nice STS's on ebay newer with less miles for 7-8k. I own a 93 black STS and love it BUT have some issues ...have been told by many to "sell it", "get ride of the POS" etc etc.... :banghead:

I have one that there is no record or anything of previous maint (auction car)and obviously there hasnt been any in quite sometime, alot of these items that I mention were not there when I got it in July this year. Will mark new problems or at least newly discovered problems with an *. BUT I love it and will slowly fix things as I can afford motor runs hard and seems to be ok other than whats mentioned :bonkers:

Needs an alternator
Needs a starter *
has oil on 2 spark plugs when removed
Needs valve cover gaskets
Power Ant motor shot *
Power trunk latch VERY intermitant *
Sunroof does not seat properly
Needs Motor Mounts top and bottom *
Need front rotors and pads all around
Needs a radiator

Have already done:
Injectors cleaned
Front sway bar bushing
Shift Solenoids

Doesnt sound like much but man o man is stuff for this car pricey :crying2:

Unless you got the car for alot less than the 7500 or your loaded and money isnt an issue I would personally pass. I wish I had, but cant give up on it now :D

Best of luck to ya

·
Registered
586 Posts
Realtor1 said:
Joining this one late but here are my .02 on it. I think the price is extremly high for the car. You can get Nice STS's on ebay newer with less miles for 7-8k. I own a 93 black STS and love it BUT have some issues ...have been told by many to "sell it", "get ride of the POS" etc etc.... :banghead:

I have one that there is no record or anything of previous maint (auction car)and obviously there hasnt been any in quite sometime, alot of these items that I mention were not there when I got it in July this year. Will mark new problems or at least newly discovered problems with an *. BUT I love it and will slowly fix things as I can afford motor runs hard and seems to be ok other than whats mentioned :bonkers:

Needs an alternator
Needs a starter *
has oil on 2 spark plugs when removed
Needs valve cover gaskets
Power Ant motor shot *
Power trunk latch VERY intermitant *
Sunroof does not seat properly
Needs Motor Mounts top and bottom *
Need front rotors and pads all around
Needs a radiator

Have already done:
Injectors cleaned
Front sway bar bushing
Shift Solenoids

Doesnt sound like much but man o man is stuff for this car pricey :crying2:

Unless you got the car for alot less than the 7500 or your loaded and money isnt an issue I would personally pass. I wish I had, but cant give up on it now :D

Best of luck to ya
the alternator is only $95 from autozone... but takes a good 4 hours (at least) to replace.

·
Registered
1995 SLS 200K miles
372 Posts
If ya believe in Ebay..just do it, but don't blame the label. Ebay couldnt find a 9/16 wrench if life depended..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Maintainance is more important than mileage on thses cars. But either way 7500 is WAY TOO MUCH for a 93 with 120K. These cars will go into the upper 180,000-200,000 mile range but you have to stay on top of it. Same as any other car really with aluminum engine components.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts