Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1993 4.9L Seville - X920BT Navigation w/ backup cam, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm dropping my 1993 Seville off with my cadillac mechanic given a few issues for a few days to get it ready for summer cruising but before I do I'd like to try to get an idea of what the issues may be.

Starting - For the past 6mos I've struggled to identify why it has been having trouble starting. It seems the battery may be dead, but even when fully charged it will hesitate to start but sometimes turn over yet sometimes it will not. Jumping it from another car will work after leaving the two cars connected for several minutes. I have a 1amp charger that indicates the battery is fully charged never more than 6hrs after connecting it, which I take to mean the battery is usually fully charged given how quickly it indicates a full charge is reached. It has even failed to start after 30min of driving and has left me stranded at a gas pump and in a parking lot. The dash reads a voltage output between 13.5 and 14.3 volts. I have had the battery tested several times and the tests indicate it is a good battery (it is less than one year old.)

Does any of the above indicate whether this is a battery issue, alternator issue, starter issue or perhaps an electrical drain in the car?

R134a refrigerant leak - I had the compressor replaced and converted to R134a back in 2014. Yet for the past few years there has been a leak somewhere in the system and every year I need to recharge the system. I suspect it may be the compressor itself because I attempted to locate the leak myself using dyed R134a and saw dye all over the compressor. I'm going to ask my mechanic to try to find the leak and patch it, but What is the correct pag oil for this system given it is a 1993 with a new compressor that has been converted to R134a?

Thank you for any insight you can provide!

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,818 Posts
What do you mean by 'won't start?" Does it not crank or not fire?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
Based on what you have said, I don't think it is the battery (unless the volts drop to 9v or so while cranking). Check your battery cables for corrosion. It can work it's way under the insulation.

Check your fuel pressure. Should be in the 40 - 45 psi range.

DO NOT use a refrigerant with a sealer in it to "patch" the leak. Sounds like you need a new compressor.

·
Registered
1993 4.9L Seville - X920BT Navigation w/ backup cam, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the insight. Good point regarding the fuel delivery system, I hadn't considered that. I did have the FPR and Fuel pump both replaced within the past few years. When the FPR was dying due to a burst diaphram the car would sputter and due intermittently when running however, that symptom is not present here.

I would never use stopleak in the system, well aware of how bad that is. Frustrating though if this AC compressor is on it's way out - I spent over $1,000 to have it replaced back in October of 2014. The first one that shopped installed died immediately, I should have just elected to have someone else do the work at that point. They also did a shitty job installing it, the face of the compressor is covered in tool marks.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,818 Posts
Stay away from reman compressors. ...unless you what to do the job over again.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. Wanted to update as to the issues:

• The starter was dying hence the issues starting. Since it was replaced it's been starting up normally.
  • Transmission fluid leak was related to the tranny drip pan. That was tightened up and cleaned, so far I've not noticed any drops on the garage floor.
  • The AC compressor is fine. Something was tightened up (I do not recall what), the system was recharged and so far it blows quite cold (although I do vaguely recall it blowing colder 10+ years ago when it ran exclusively on R12.
Most surprisingly, when I brought it in my guy noticed a misfire in the cylinders. He said he'd do a tune-up and afterwards it would drive smoother, like a new car. I was skeptical, but I have to say he was absolutely correct. He replaced the fuel filter, distributor wires, all the spark plugs, and did something related to tuning it, and it drives noticeably smoother with a better delivery of power. It idles and revv's smoother as well.

Next step in restoring my Seville this summer is rust treatment and restoration of the rocker panels and passenger door and rims. Then I'm getting the drivers seat reupholstered. Meanwhile there are several smaller projects I'm tackling - rear/driver tail light replacement, front bumper guard replacement, speaker upgrades and replacing a key fob.

After all is said and done I expect to have spent $3,000-ish, but am hoping for a like-new experience in my Seville reminding me of when I was a little kid back in the early 1990's riding around with my grandfather in the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts