Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1993 4.9L Seville - X920BT Navigation w/ backup cam, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few months my Seville's battery has been draining if left to sit for more than a day. Today (after jump starting it and driving for 30min) it was dead after sitting for only 5min while pumping gas. The AAA technician's battery equipment indicated that the battery's cell is in poor condition and that the battery should be replaced - I bought the battery new in June 2019, barely 6 months ago. Is there any other problem that could cause a poor battery health result without it actually being the battery, or did I simply get a poor quality battery that I should return and replace?

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,690 Posts
first and most obvious is defective battery. It happens. Did you buy it at AutoZone? Have the battery load tested but not at AZ. Meanwhile pull codes to see if anything obvious pops up.

·
Registered
1993 4.9L Seville - X920BT Navigation w/ backup cam, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first and most obvious is defective battery. It happens. Did you buy it at AutoZone? Have the battery load tested but not at AZ. Meanwhile pull codes to see if anything obvious pops up.
Nope I bought it at NAPA. I'll just exchange it, highly doubtful they'll give me an issue doing that.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,579 Posts
Not common, but not unheard of either. I have had battries fail after 6 month. I've even had 2 with a dead cell right off the shelf.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. I just got back from NAPA - they would NOT exchange the battery because their equipment indicated it was good. Their equipment indicated 610 CCA...the technicians equipment last night indicated 256CCA. The battery is rated for 690CCA.

So...do I have a bad battery or is something on the car suddenly draining the battery? The only work I have done on the car lately is install new low beam headlight bulbs.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,924 Posts
Did you start the affected car/battery, drive to NAPA, and have them test it shortly after the drive? If so, the "test" may have been flawed - even a dead cell battery will hold some charge for a while after removal from the charging cycle - let the battery sit disconnected from anything for an hour before a load test.

A battery with a dead (shorted) cell will self-discharge overnight.

There are 6 cells in a 12 volt battery, connected in series - total voltage fully charged is 12.6 volts DC.

610 CCA is about 80 CCA less than rated. A significant CCA percentage is missing.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you start the affected car/battery, drive to NAPA, and have them test it shortly after the drive? If so, the "test" may have been flawed - even a dead cell battery will hold some charge for a while after removal from the charging cycle - let the battery sit disconnected from anything for an hour before a load test.

A battery with a dead (shorted) cell will self-discharge overnight.

There are 6 cells in a 12 volt battery, connected in series - total voltage fully charged is 12.6 volts DC.

610 CCA is about 80 CCA less than rated. A significant CCA percentage is missing.
I removed the battery at 7pm and brought it to NAPA the following day at 10am...so it sat disconnected for 15hrs after having been jumped at 256CCA and then driven for 15min straight back to my garage.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,579 Posts
if it is not a sealed battery,I'm not sure how you test for CCA's, but you can test the overall voltage, individual cells (if it is not a sealed battery), and do a load test yourself with a simple digital volt meter. That's where I would start.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems as though the battery may have just been really dead. My mechanic put it on his charger for an hour and so far so good - the Seville has been starting right up even after sitting 48hrs in below zero temps. I'll report back after letting her sit for a week with the results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts