Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've noticed the fans on the car don't come on very often or very fast, even when at operating temps. Also a week ago the car overheated (broken "T" fitting) the fans didn't come on then either, which leads me to think they aren't working properly. The only time I can get/force them to come on is by turning on the A/C compressor. Is there a common problem, simple things to check, or something along those lines that I should look into fixing? I read in a similar thread about Fans and ABS being somehow related by relays, and awhile back my ABS light was on, but not recently. So I don't know if that has anything to dso with it either. By the way it's a 93 Sedan DeVille, with 4.9...

Thanks for any insight, I'm kinda new to this whole Cadillac thing.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
I don't have my 1993 FSM in front of me, but I recall that the fans turn on when the coolant temp hits about 104*C. They go high speed mode only when the temp hits about 112*C.

So, in the winter, you may not see high enough temps for the fans to come on often let alone high speed mode. You might want to turn on the A/C, leave them on for a while to help the engine's temp to climb.

You can view the engine temp by putting the PCM into diagnostic mode and viewing parameter P.04: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html

However, if your car overheated because the fans didn't come on, you might have a problem with the Fan control module.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been trying to use the directions for the pulling codes and entering the Diagnostic mode found in the above link but they don't quite match up to my car, I push the button(s) it says but get different results? I think I need more specific to my vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
I believe you use the OFF and WARMER buttons simultaneously. Then use HI FAN to answer yes, and LOW FAN to answer no.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I can get into the I guess "Diagnostic Mode" but once in it, I'm lost. I can get it to cycle through E.1.2-E.0.1 but not do any thing with them, between each of the different diplays (E.1.2 and E.1.1 and so on...) it will display 8.8.8 So I can make it do something but I'm not sure what it is. I really don't know if these are trouble codes, diagnostic tests that can be ran or what.

So far all I can see with them are:
E.1.2
E.1.1
E.1.0
E.0.9
E.0.8
E.0.7
E.0.6
E.0.5
E.0.4
E.0.3
E.0.2
E.0.1
E.0.0
Then it starts over again. Pushing the "HI" button causes it to cycle thes, and pushing the "LO" button does nothing.

Thanks for all your help so far.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
I have not been into an OBDI for some time but I do not beleive you are in the diagnostics section. It looks like you may be in the parameter or data mode. Maybe someone more familiar with OBDI will chime in.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you again! I appreciate all of your help.

I will go tinker with it and see if I can figure out what my fans are doing.

...or not for that matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts